• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, few questions???

tracyuk

Mama Doe
Hi thought i would ask a few of the questions I have had on my mind.
1 - My bunnies are house bunnies and have never been outside, Is this ok? does anyone else have bunnies they keep indoors.
2 - I feed them rabbit musli from Pets at home. Are any other rabbits on his, mine are very fussy but love this
3 - Think they are getting fat. I have been feeding them twice a day but after reading some of the posts i think this is too much?
4 - Does anyone else travel with their buns. I am up and down the country at my parents and always take my babies. They never seem to be stressed but I know how quiet buns are bout these things. What are other peoples experiences of this?
Sorry know its lots of questions but been on my mind for a while
Tracy

I have Fudge in the house at the moment and he doesn't get out very often, sometimes he likes to do a quick lap of the garden though! I'd say it's ok but if you have a garden it would be nice for them to get some fresh air from time to time.

Musli mixes aren't generally recommended as they encourage selective feeding, pellets are a much better option. Check the fibre content though some pellets (p@h for example) are quite low in fibre. Mine are on Science selective. With the exeption of 1 rabbit all of mine have been on musli mixes when they've come to me and I've had no problems changing them over!

I feed mine twice a day just feed smaller amounts if they're getting a bit tubby, that should also encourage them to eat more hay :D

I have 2 rabbits, Bertie we've had him 13 months & Molly just 4 weeks..
They are both indoor bunnies Bertie does go out in a run in the warmer weather but must admit he's happier in the house..
Molly is a rescue bunny & I've been putting her outside for 1 hour per day..
I bought a hutch & run for to her use as before she came to us she had been used to being an outdoor bun... She seems to enjoy going out but also likes being with us indoors...

I feed my two on Science Selective & fresh veg... Bertie has always liked this food & when Molly came to live with us thankfully she enjoys it.
I feed mine twice per day just smaller portions. I had to cut Bertie's food down as he became a little tubby, I have been told house buns do get a little lazy but I do myself when I have the heating on so can't blame them LOL :D

Thats a great help thanks, I have just been looking online and Pets at home sell supa rabbit excel, Are any of your buns on that?
Tracy

I used to feed Bundle on Excel but she did tend to have a "sticky bottom" and since being on here I've found out that Excel can cause this problem in some buns. I switched her to Science Selective and the problem has disappeared which is great! :D

As far as the house bunny thing - Bundle has been a house bunny ever since I got her at 9 weeks - she's never seen the outside world! Since I got Weedie I've had an enormous hutch and run built in the garage so while I'm at work or in bed they're in there and when I'm home they're both indoors with me. So both of mine never go outside - it's a personal thing as I feel that they're safer in the house and you don't have to worry about foxes getting them or the weather etc., but as I said it's entirely my PERSONAL opinion. They are certainly very happy bunsters and I think you get to know their personalities so much better if they're indoors with you. :D

Mine are very happy too, I just sit and watch them instead of the tv, they keep me entertained for hours. I worry that the need fresh air but they seem fine. I only have a small patio garden and we have lots of foxes and cats.
Tracy

tracyuk said:
Mine are very happy too, I just sit and watch them instead of the tv, they keep me entertained for hours. I worry that the need fresh air but they seem fine. I only have a small patio garden and we have lots of foxes and cats.
Tracy

Yes, they're very entertaining aren't they? :D I love to see mine flying around the place doing massive leaps! :lol: I'd say you're better off keeping them indoors as you have been doing, especially if you have lots of foxes or cats around, better to be safe than sorry! :wink:

Squidgy never goes outside. He does have his own run, but he gets quite stressed.
I feed all of mine on Allen and Page pellets - about £6 for 20 kilos, and all the bunnies are doing very well on it. The nethies get a small handful each a day, the big buns get 2 handfuls a day. They get half of this in the morning and half at night with their veg. Luckily they all love hay.

Thanks for everyone putting my mind at rest, I now now im not a bad mother. Went out and bought some selective today and pleased to say its a hit (also cheaper than the food i was buying before)
Thanks again
Tracy :)

Hi Tracy,

Just a quick note but when you switch food you need to do it gradually so mix the old and the new food together over a week or so :)

Another thing your bunnies might like it a treatball. It's a tennis ball sized plastic ball with a hole in and you put their food inside and they nudge the ball around to get it out. The exercise helps keep them trim .

:)

Tam

Thanks for the advice. I only offered them a few pellets to see what they think. I was thinking of mixing it with a bit of their old food then adding less and less, Is this how you would recommend doing it
Tracy

We generally start off with 1 part to 3 and then over 14 days decrease the amount of the old food and increase the new. They barely notice this way but I know some people do it quicker, it depends on how well the bun takes to the new brand.

Back