• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside or outside tonight? Decisions!

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

Amy has been in my room for a week as she was ill the end of last week but is much better now - she had tummy problems. Now I've been gradually turning the heating down in my room (feels like the Arctic to me!) and today I popped her out into the hutch in the garage. She has been out there since 1pm - just went to check on her and nice pile of poops, food eaten + although looking a bit bemused about being in a strange hutch she is OK!!

Now I don't know whether to bring her back inside for the night, with my heating totally off in my room or leave her in the hutch in the garage for the night. I have a Snugglesafe and a Flectabed I can put in with her and also I've filled the bedroom with straw and hay.

What's everybody elses opinions? Is that a bit quick after being indoors? My original plan was to bring her back in tonight, out again tomorrow + then stay out tomorrow night if all OK.

I'm rubbish at making decisions though so need some help!!

Nicola

I'm sure she'll be just fine outside it doesn't seem that cold out tonight..
Just pack her bed with lots of straw I'm sure she'll be warm & snug.

It's a flat bed which has a fleecy cover and inside has the material that reflects heat - so if you sit on it if you are a bunny, the heat from you is reflected back up to keep you warm. (I think that my explanation is correct!!) There was another thread on it somewhere!!

Nicola

I think I'd leave her in the hutch in the garage overnight - the weather is much milder than it has been so as long as she has plenty of hay to snuggle in she should be fine. :D

Does she live in the garage normally or outside in the garden?

She normally lives outside in the garden - as she has been indoors for a week I thought I'd move her gradually back to the garden. Luckily got a 5ft hutch in the garage from my foster bun so lots of room for her for the short term.

I'd probably be tempted to keep her in the garage for a few days then gradually build up the time she spends in the garden again to get her properly acclimatised. Sounds like you were already thinking like that anyway! :thumb: :D

As it is mild at the moment I would get her back out straight away. The shorter the time in the warm inside the better.

Yep that's what I was thinking anyway, few nights in the garage + on warmer days pop her out into her hutch and run and then wait for a mild night to get her back outside properly!!

The reason she didn't go back outside over Xmas is that I'm not sure what caused her tummy problems in the first place so if it was anything to do with the weather etc I didn't wanna risk having another trip to the emergency vets so waited til they were open again!! But touch wood all seems to be well now + she has enjoyed the extra attention she gets when she is in the house! Though it's been like the Arctic in my room and I was freezing when I woke up this morning so I'm pleased I can put the heating back on!!!

Nicola

nicolar said:
Yep that's what I was thinking anyway, few nights in the garage + on warmer days pop her out into her hutch and run and then wait for a mild night to get her back outside properly!!

The reason she didn't go back outside over Xmas is that I'm not sure what caused her tummy problems in the first place so if it was anything to do with the weather etc I didn't wanna risk having another trip to the emergency vets so waited til they were open again!! But touch wood all seems to be well now + she has enjoyed the extra attention she gets when she is in the house! Though it's been like the Arctic in my room and I was freezing when I woke up this morning so I'm pleased I can put the heating back on!!!

Nicola

Are you not tempted to keep her as a house bun? :wink: I love having mine inside! :D :lol:

Yes very!!! But it's my Mum and Dad's house so have to go along with their rules :D Mum doesn't mind them in my room or the spare room if they are ill or recuperating but she doesn't want permanent house buns! Both of mine love being house bunnies though and really enjoy all the attention - perhaps if I ever move out I'll keep them both as house buns :D

Back