• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Staples in spay wound

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Emma's little girlie bun has staples over her spay as well as dissolvable stitches. Wound has healed nicely, & she had her post op check up before Xmas & vet was happy. However, normally all my buns remove all their own stitches/staples, but hers are still there. Vet never mentioned coming back - will the staples drop out, or will they be irritating her? Should I take her back to get them removed. There's just 3 left.

Angie65 said:
Emma's little girlie bun has staples over her spay as well as dissolvable stitches. Wound has healed nicely, & she had her post op check up before Xmas & vet was happy. However, normally all my buns remove all their own stitches/staples, but hers are still there. Vet never mentioned coming back - will the staples drop out, or will they be irritating her? Should I take her back to get them removed. There's just 3 left.

I have never had a bun with staples, however I am used to them in humans. They will need removing, I would give your vets a call and find out when they are normally removed, I would assume around a week to ten days post operatively. If they are not removed the skin will grown around them embedding them which will make removal of them more difficult ... or certainly this happens in humans.

I will do, thanks!

I've been expecting them to drop out, - a different vet did op from normal & apparently he always staples. Will see if I can call in tonight :D

Ohh glad to hear she's ok :D She was just being a good girl trying not to take them out herself :lol:

Back