• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting another rabbit hehe

sdp_pogo

New Kit
I went into the pet shop where i got pogo from and i saw the new rabbits that they've just got from there breeder! OMG i have to get one :lol: They look like little dudes! But the one problem is that pogo is 17wks old and the new bunnies are about 6 - 8 wks old, will they bond? and if so how long will it take and how do i do it :lol:? I have a double hutch (pogo in bottom, pugsy (mum named him) in top). Do i just let them out in the run everyday for a little bit to get them to get used to each other or will they fight?(there both males):lol: please can someone help????????

Cheers
Scott

Hi Scott... I hope the buns are not under 8 weeks old as that is too young to have been taken from their Mother and they could have health issues as a result. Has Pogo been neutered? If not I would counsel about getting any other bun until he's been deplummed - when his hormones kick in, he's going to get very territorial.

There is no guarantee that bunnies will get along so you have to consider the options of what will happen if the 2 you have chosen as mates do not get on.

If you have never paired up any rabbits before, I would have to say to avoid pairing up two male rabbits particuarly if they are unneutered. When pugsy reaches sexual maturity you are likely to get serious infighting between these two.

Pairing up of Pogo provided he is neutered with a young female would be a more successful combination. This would need to be done on neutral territory.

lI think that there about 8 wks or older im not two sure :oops: How come he has to be neutered? I thought that two males should be okay together?

sdp_pogo said:
lI think that there about 8 wks or older im not two sure :oops: How come he has to be neutered? I thought that two males should be okay together?

Nupe .. They'll fight .. as jill says above :wink: X

I have 2 males that were happily bonded for 7 months and at the age of about 11 months they started fighting to kill one day with no warning. The day before they had been happily cuddling together without a problem. Mine were also neutered for 4-5 months by the time they started fighting.

Male/male pairs are the hardest to sucessfully bond and the least likely to ever work out, neutering makes it more likely but there is still less than a 50% chance that they will sucessfully bond.

sdp_pogo said:
Neutering males is not just to prevent offspring - it calms down all sorts of hormonal behaviour. Un-neutered bucks will still get the urge even if there are no female buns around (if you get my drift :wink: ) and will spray their urine around. I believe this is to mark territory and as a sign of affection. My friends un-neutered buck did this to me and honestly, it's the foulest smelling substance known to man :shock: This stopped once he was de-plummed.

Bonding buns of any sex is not to be taken lightly... complex hierarchies have to be established

We had two boys together for a year then one day they just fell out. Fiver still bears the scars on his ears to this day :(

Hi there I have 2 boys living 2gether, thy r brothers tho, and even then when they got 2 their teenage spell thy got very very aggressive 2wards each othr and Harly got quite badly hurt. I did manage 2 re-bond them after having them neutered, but it was about 7 wks after neutering before their testosterone died down enough. Meantime they had 2 be kept seperate, so I was letting 1 in the run then the other making sure they couldnt get 2 one another. If u do decide to get them neutered then bond them, it will have 2 b done on neutral territory (where neither has been before), I bonded my boys in my bathroom.

2 males can be bonded, but it is not the easiest of pairings. even with 2 girls or boy/girl they would still need neutering before bonding so wont make much difference financial ways with it being 2 boys (in fact, my vet told me neutering boys was less expensive than girls as it's a bigger op). Also, there is no guarantees with any bondng tht it will be successful, even after neutering.

sdp_pogo said:
How much does it cost? Or could i just get a female :lol: :lol: or will they just mate all the time?

The cost of neutering varies from vet to vet and boys are usually cheaper to do than girls as it is a 'simpler' operation.

If you put an unneutered female and an unneutered male together you will end up with lots of bunnies very quickly......

sdp_pogo said:
How much does it cost? Or could i just get a female :lol: :lol: or will they just mate all the time?
Depends where you live but in the region of £45. Spaying females is higher at around the £50 and yes they would mate all the time if not "done". In next to no time, you could end up with literally hundreds of bunnies :shock:

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much does it cost? Or could i just get a female or will they just mate all the time?

I assume tht was a joke, yeah they'd mate all the time and rabbits can produce a lot of babies. Also, even with a boy/girl pairing unnetuered they will still b territorial and be likely 2 b aggressive.

So the best idea would be to get a girl and get pogo neutered. and they try and bond them when she's a bit older? and they get her neutered?

:lol: :lol: yea it was, it happend to my mums freind lol

Please get Pogo a friend from a rescue once he has been neutered rather than a petshop.

The ones listed on Rabbit Rehome are just the tip of the iceberg :( Each year over 30,000 rabbits end up in rescue :(

Have a look on Rabbit Rehome, and here is a list of rescues in west sussex. They may even be able to help you with bonding:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Sussex West

sdp_pogo said:
So the best idea would be to get a girl and get pogo neutered. and they try and bond them when she's a bit older? and they get her neutered?

:lol: :lol: yea it was, it happend to my mums freind lol

I would do it the other way around (personally) - I would get Pogo neutered and when he is fully recovered and no longer fertile (you need to wait a few weeks after neutering), I would look into getting him a girlfriend. You may want to look at getting a girlfriend from one of the rescues - it is likely she will already be neutered then and the rescue may be able to help you with bonding them together. The problem is whilst male/female pairings are usually successful there is no guarentee and if you pick a friend for Pogo and he doesn't like her then you will have to be able to house them both separatly.

If Pogo is 17 weeks old, he probably is almost ready for neutering. Many vets will neuter a male rabbits as soon as their testicles are fully developed. Then I would suggest getting a female to pair up with him, she can be introduced as soon as Pogo is 6 weeks post operative. A female rabbit can be neutered between 4 - 6 months old.

Another option would be if you get Pogo neutered and then contact a rescue in your area to find a neutered female to go with him.

Yea cheers for all the help. I've decided against getting one for a little while, and if i do get one then i will get one from a rescue center!

Cheers
Scott

luvabun said:
sdp_pogo said:
Depends where you live but in the region of £45. Spaying females is higher at around the £50 and yes they would mate all the time if not "done". In next to no time, you could end up with literally hundreds of bunnies :shock:

Wow, I wish my vets were that cheap, £55 for a buck! (inc. meds & Post Op of course).

Back