• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help

neet

Young Bun
Sorry for sounding frantic, but got home tonight from being at friends, went out to see my bunnies and Harry's face looks lopsided and hes unsteady on the same side of his body, like his back leg, does this sound like a stroke and what can I do?, tried to have a quick look to see if someone had posted the same question, but Im so worried

Ring the vet straight away. They can often advise you over the 'phone, but you'll probably have to take Harry in.
Hope he's ok.

Yes, your Rabbit needs URGENT Veterinary attention. The possible problems include a middle ear infection, Infection with the parasite Encephalitizoon Cuniculli (which can effect the central nervous system) or a CVA (cerebrovascular accident/stroke)
All of the above require IMMEDIATE Veterinary attention.
Good luck and please keep us posted

Janex

As above, Ive seen first hand what things like E.C can cause if left to fester. I hope your bunny is Ok X

Thanx for all your advice last night, we took Harry to the vets and she gave him a good look over, we were in there longer than I thought we would be, she looked in his ears and said there was a bit of puss in there and put it down to an ear infection, hes had a steroid injection and some anti biotics, and we have to keep an eye on him, so we have brought him and his buddy inside for a couple of days, in seperate cages but next to each other, hes eating grated carrot and drinking, and hes done a poo, so Im well happy, a lot less worried than last night.
One good thing thats come out of it it he has let me pick him up twice, I cant believe it, we have had him a year and never EVER been able to before, now to start doing it more to show him we aren't gonna hurt him.
Once again thanx for the advice last night, you helped put my mind at ease.
This is a great website if ever I have a problem or not sure about anything I look in here, I may not speak a lot, but Im around :eek:)

Happy New year to you all and you Bunnies xxx

Glad you're feeling a bit happier about everthing now you've been to the vets. :D Sending vibes for Harry and wishing him a speedy recovery. :D

Back