• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rapid weight loss

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I had Fudge on a diet though not a major one I just halved his pellets. At the end of October he weighed 4.2kg and i had him weighed today at 3.55kg thats the lightest he's ever been. Do you think I should be worried by the rapid weight loss or is it reasonable? :?

I would slow down any further weight loss which may occur. Has the vet given you any idea about the weight you should be aiming at.

I'm a bit worried that he's loosing weight for some other reason. He never finishes the pellets I've given him despite having half of what he once had. Really he's living off of hay and veg, mainly veg as he's never been a big hay eater despite it being available.

He has had his teeth checked and they're fine.

I'm worried he might have something serious as his brother started to loose weight rather quickly before dying of renal failure and pneumonia earlier this year :(

Since he has a family history of kidney problems it would be a good idea to bring him to the vet to have blood tests done.

I would agree with having the blood tests done. Louis was loosing loads of weight despite eating everything in sight, the blood tests showed he had liver problems. Since having a course of meds he has put the weight back on nicely now.

I saw a stand in vet yesterday so she wasn't a great help just said if he continues to lose it then bring him back :? she said fat rabbits always lose weight quickly to start with! He's certainly not a fat rabbit now, more a baggy rabbit! she also said he was grossly obese at 3.8kg (when I saw her sometime last year) which i think is about the right weight for him!

edit: just wondering whether normal household scales would work to weigh him on so that I could monitor his weight. He site quite still but would normal or didital be best :?

touie said:
just wondering whether normal household scales would work to weigh him on so that I could monitor his weight. He site quite still but would normal or didital be best :?

I would say digital scales are best. I have always found them to be more accurate for our bunnies. As long as they can sit still for long enough in a big tupperware tub that is :)

Hope bunny is ok

Fiona x

hehe it would have to be a huge tupperware tub :lol: I think hed sit still enough just on the actual scales, he's pretty good :D I need to get some anyway to way the turtles, I've been using the kitchen scales bit it whizzes round a few times now with the largest one :shock:

Back