• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does metacam calm bunnies down?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
As some of you may know, Fia was put on metacam for a mystery pain that caused her to suck in her tummy and stop eating. I have weaned her off the 5 drops of metacam a day and she had her last dose (1 drop on a piece of weetabix) on the 22nd.

When I first got Fia she was rather skittish and not very happy with me being around. When she went on the metacam she seemed to change a bit and got more interested in me, especially around food time. However, today she is REALLY skittish. I went out this morning and she was obviously interested in me to see if I had food for her but as soon as I moved (i.e. move my arm, reach in for the bowl, stand up) she got really nervous and would run away.

I went out after I gave them their breakfast and she thumped in her litter tray and ran off and just looked scared. I am so confused. Zion goes up to her when she freezes as if to say 'its ok, don't be scared'. I don't think a cat or fox could have scared her as Zi is fine and I covered up their playhouse and shut them inside for the night every night.

On xmas eve I put her lead on her to give her a run around the garden and she didn't really like it much at all. It was a bit of a struggle putting it on and she obviously wasn't impressed with it but she got better after some time. I put her back in the playhouse and got in the run for a fuss and she was fine. All over me and very relaxed.

So my question is, is the fact I have stopped the metacam a sympton her mood changing? (she is eating her pellets, hay and veggies fine, pooing and weeing fine, she is neutered and her and Zi are fine together) or does she think I am going to try and put the lead on her again and she is getting nervous? Just strange that it's happening now and not in the days after. :?

Any advice most appreciated. They are going into bunny boarding on Saturday for a week and I don't want her to be really scared for then.

Thanks

Shiv xXXx

I am not sure if Metacam 'calms Bunnies down' but the behavioural changes you have noted might be due to the fact that on Metacam Fia is more comfortable in general and so more relaxed :?
Certainly a dependence/tolerance of Metacam is noted when used longterm (for months as opposed to a couple of weeks)

I am PERSONALLY opposed to the use of harnesses for Rabbits. I dont believe that a by nature 'prey animal' should be tethered in any shape or form. But as I say, it is just my personal opinion. I would never use a harness/lead on any of my Rabbits

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
I am PERSONALLY opposed to the use of harnesses for Rabbits. I dont believe that a by nature 'prey animal' should be tethered in any shape or form. But as I say, it is just my personal opinion. I would never use a harness/lead on any of my Rabbits

Janex

No I don't like them much either but I couldn't think of any other way of letting the bunnies in the garden and getting her back in the playhouse.

My garden is secure but there are hedges and I know she would run into them and I wouldn't get her back (know from a previous episode) and I would hate to have to leave her out (well I just wouldn't but it would be stressful for both of us to get her out). I contemplated it a lot before I actually done it (Becki will tell you) and felt bad for leaving them with just the playhouse and 6x4 run everyday.

I think I will jus wait until I have a new house and a garden that is walled in and not lined with hedges so I can let her out and get her back safely.

Would her feeling uncomfortable make her frightened though? When she was sore before she would let me stroke her and get close to her and even pick her up so I don't think she is experiencing any discomfort.

Hey ho I will see how she gets on over the next few days. Lots of bribing needed I think.

Thanks Jane

Shiv

ShivyRex said:
I contemplated it a lot before I actually done it (Becki will tell you) and felt bad for leaving them with just the playhouse and 6x4 run everyday

Yup! Siobhan was very uneasy about using the harness, but felt there was no other alternative. I dont think there is anyone particularly fond of them tbh, Myself & Siobhan included, but I have one in and it has come in handy once or twice ... Which reminds me to retrieve it from down the back of the washer! :roll: As for the metacam thingy, No idea!! :oops: Was just backing up Shivy :oops: :lol: X

Back