• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone got buns and a yorkshire terrier?

toffee

Mama Doe
We've been offered a Yorkshire terrier, 8 years old. The bloke who has it inherited him from an elderley relative but doesn't have time for him.

Obviously I'd never leave bunnies unattended with a dog but does anyone have a yorkshire terrier with bunnies or is it a very bad idea?

I don't want to upset my bunnies by getting a dog that will frighten them.

Depends on the dog tbh, you'd have to try the dog with them whilst they are in cage. Most terriers, particularly small ones, are very yappy and all too ready to pounce, so I'd never risk letting them out together, even under supervision.

Maybe an 8 yr old will be more mature around them than a younger one( although we are talking terriers...:lol: ).

Good luck, hope it works out! :D

I have 4 terriers (a westie, 2 Jack russells and a yorkie) and a million and one bunnies and no problems here. It can take a few weeks for them to get used to the bunnies but they normally settle down. The only dog I wouldnt trust with my bunnies is my westie but that is only because he is old, cranky and was badly abused.

I hope my OH david lets me have the doggie cos The man who looks after him at the moment is going to take him to the RSPCA if not and I'd be worried that an 8 year old dog won't get a home. He'd be so lonely if he's used to having people around all the time.

Not now i don't but when I had bunnies years ago I had a yorkie too, she never showed any aggression or chasing instinct. The only time she'd tell any of them off was when i had a little un-neutered boy called Lucky (I called him that because I worked at petsmart when 8 years ago and they couldn't sell him because he had a snotty nose.. no-one else on the staff would take him. I was asked if I wanted him and told that if he wasn't gone by that night he'd be killed :x So despite the fact that I was forbidden to bring any animals home with me I took him with me when i finished work)

He was the friendliest little rabbit, but he used to try and mate with my yorkie :shock: lets just say she didn't appreciate it :lol:

Back