• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Made a decision!!! - update

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hello all

We are definetly getting Dobbin a wife and we will do it from a rescue i am going o phone a couple today and see what they have and who will help me the most - if that makes sense???

What will the rescue want to do? What does a home check involve? Is there anything i should expect from them?

Please dont think i am eing funny, i am aware this may sound rude but i promise i dont mean it to i just dont know what is in store!!!

I can say that Dobbin and i are very very excited though!!!

Am a bit worried because there isnt a rescue very near to me and i obviously dont want cause Dobbin any undo stress!!!

All help on this is hugely appreciated - thank you.

Sue
xx

:p :p

Homecheck is just to make sure your accomadation is big enough, & to see the health of your other buns etc. they ask questions about whether you vaccinate, what you feed, whether your other bun is neutered, who will look after your bun day to day, or when you go away, amount of attention bun will get etc. This way they can suit your home to a particular bun. No point trying to get a messy bun that chews EVERYTHING & wanting them to live loose in your house. :lol:

They might ask if you have temp accom for a bun if bonding takes longer than you anticipated - or they might bond for you.

happy bun-hunting :D

Hi, I bet you are so excited. :D
I got another rabbit 1 month ago, I'd been thinking about it for a while I phoned Rabbit Rehome & they gave me a number of a rescue local to me...
I was very suprised that the rescue didn't ask me any questions on hutch size or anything about the rabbit I was taking home with me.
I took the rabbit home with me there & then.
Now I wish I would of asked more questions about Molly she was so nervous when she came to live with us & couldn't even cope with us going near her.. I'm glad to say now she's come out of herself so much.
Her cage is in the conservatory & haven't bonded her with bertie yet I'm going to wait until she's spayed in Jan so it's going to be at least 4 weeks maybe more after that..

Good luck on your new bunny ..P.S have you had a look of those beauties on Rabbit Rehome.
karenx

Totally agree with Angie about the homecheck, there is nothing to worry about and they are not out to 'catch you out'. Some rescues will help you with pairing up of rabbits and are happy to give advise after you have taken them away.

If you have no experience of pairing up, it is worthwhile you considering a rescue who will offer you maximum support with this as some rabbits are a little more trickier than others.

Good luck

I have just phoned a rescue and they dont want me to take Dobbin down for any kind of introduction and the person i just spoke to said that they dont do any help on bonding but she can try and find a leaflet for me if i likes - is this normal? I a sorry to be a pain.

Is there any rescues on here which could help me - i am in Tonbridge Kent - i want to get the best friend possible for Dobbin and make it as less stressful as posible.

Am i being overprotective? :oops:

Sue
xx :D

Thank you - i am currently working through the list on there - they do have some gorgeous rabbits at that rescue, so so so gorgeous!!

I am trying to keep local to me so that reducing the amount of stress to Dobbin as ar as travelling goes.

I have tried RSPCA at medway but they have closed - i am also trying the RSPCA at Leybourne but i dont know if they have any rabbits or not - am hoping to go and visit somewhere on Saturday to see whats what as it were!!!

Sue
xx

There is Last Chance Animal Rescue at Edenbridge or Foal farm at Biggin Hill (not sure how many rabbits they have though).

GBH do help with bonding. When I was going to have Sally they were more then happy for me to bring Zion and leave him there for the weekend for them to bond them. In the end Sally wasn't the ideal candidate as she hasn't taken to any males they have tried her with :( They do have lots of gorgeous buns. They're based in Beckenham I think which is just down the road from Bromley, Kent.

Rescues vary. I have a rescue here that refused to help with bonding as they believe buns should be introduced over a period of time to stop them fighting. Obviously there are different views to this but this rescue in particular didn't recommend bonding bunnies from the first meeting. I think its a tad extreme but then I did bond Fia and Zion this way.

If all else fails I would def get in touch with GBH. They're really lovely and helpful and I am sure they would find Dobbin a perfect match. Check out their bunnies on RR.

Edit: Here are GBH's bunnies:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?ContID=745&pg=1

So many gorgeous females for Dobbin there!!!

Good luck!!

Shiv xXXx

Thank you i have spoken to a friend who got a companion for her rabbit through RSPCA in Medway and they were very helpful so i thought i would phone them tommorrow and see how i get on!!!

Thank you very very much though!!

Sue
xx

Back