• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boys gone for neutering

Davenjo

Young Bun
Well the boys were packed up with their lunch box this morning for their trip to the vets to be neutered :?

Any tips on looking after them when they come home? We plan to keep them indoors for tonight so we can keep an eye on them!

Thanks

Dave an Jo

just make sure you have their favorite titbits to tempt them to eat, also some of mine found it easier to have water in a bowl after their op rather than reaching up for a bottle :wink:

Bertie was quite well after his operation, I made sure I left out any sawdust out of his cage incase it stuck to his stitches....
I let him just relax in his cage he has a two tier cage in the porch but has free range of the house at all times.. I made sure he couldn't go up & down his ladder the first day but he slept a lot...

I have another rabbit Molly & she's being spayed Jan9th I'm dreading that been told it's a much bigger op.

Hi there.

Tempting nibbles and more tempting nibbles seem to be the way to go!

Hope they get on well

Fiona x

Hiya, yep yummy food 2 make sure they're eating, and then a snuggle safe or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel or pet blanket each (helps cuz the heta soothes some of the pain). ALso they prob won't want 2 let u look at their bits 2 check for infection, but you have 2. I found Holding them up against my shoulder like you would 2 wind a baby, thn hjolding their bun and the scruff of their neck and tipping them backwards was the easiest way 2 see. :)

Aww got them home - Mow had a rougher time as only one testicle had descended :(

Have got them indoors in their pen and a large box to hide in, the snuggle safe a bowl of water and their normal water bottle, hay cradle, food and some fresh veggies.

Barley is up and about and having a scratch at the floor, but poor Mow is still subdued!

Dave an Jo

Some of them come around a lot quicker than others. Milo was fine but Fiver looked decidedly sorry for himself after his op as did Harley (who is blind and then couldnt work out where his water had gone so i had to hold the bottle for him while he drunk).

We kept them indoors over night gave them plenty of pellets, hay and veg and bedded them down on newspaper and a clean towel. None of them were bothered about letting us check on their bits but we always 'trance' our rabbits anyway.

Well a good night - not much thumping (they are in the next room to us and we were up at 7am as I had to go to work :( !)

Checked on them at 4.45 this am and they were fine, water seems to have gone down in the bowl and some of the food has gone - plenty of pooh so it's looking good! 8)

Thanks to all who answered :wink:

Dave an Jo

sounds good! my 2 were both still a bit lethargic the followin day but after tht thy were fine no probs :)

i am pleased to hear all is well for your babes, ;D i have just come across 2 beautiful rabbits & they go in to the vets next week to be done, & it as helped reading all your replays, i just wondered where do you buy the snuggle safe from. I have never heard of them before ??? & if i can find any thing to help them though it then i will.
Thank you for helping & for jumping in on your post dave & jo & loads of good luck with your babes :D

Thanks for the vibes and the shared experiences - it really helps :thumb:

Well the boys are fine - another good night, was a bit worried about Mow as he did not seem interested in water or food, I did get my nose licked last night and he was very quiet but he is back to normal this morning and came over for a nose rub and sat there until I picked him up for a cuddle :roll:

Most of the fresh veggies had gone as well as the pellets, water appears to be going down and there are signs of wee (small amount of spray and spots of the floor)

:?: How long should we keep them indoors and what is the best way to put them back out? Was hoping it will stay mild over the weekend and try then!

Holder - we got the snugglesafe from ebay here good service and was cheaper than most other suppliers!
They love it - both had thier front paws on it last night
:lol:

I keep mine in for 48 hours and then put them out again, best not leave it too long or the cold will be a bit of a shock esp. if you have had the heating on.

Sooz22 said:
I keep mine in for 48 hours and then put them out again, best not leave it too long or the cold will be a bit of a shock esp. if you have had the heating on.

Thanks

We have kept the heating down in the room they are in and they are on a sheet on top of laminate flooring which is cool to the touch and we will keep the snugglesafe warm when they go home!

I think they will be glad to be home as the noise from indoors must be a bit strange to them as they are just a little bit skittier than normal! 8)

Dave

Ours get like that. I cant help thinking that they are saying "buzz off and leave me in peace"!

The vets told us 24hours but I like to be on the safe side, esp. with the older rabbits.

Well we Kept them in until yesterday afternoon - they were running about a bit on New Years night, due to fireworks I thought - until they started to rump one an other :oops: :lol:

We have to take them back to the vets tomorrow to have them checked by the nurse, but they look okay - house seems empty without them but I think they are happy to be home!

Thanks for all the support :wink:

Dave

Back