• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

large lump of poo stuck to bum

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
I'm a little worried about tobey at the moment, he has no front teeth but has always been fine with eating his soft poos straight from his bum, but recently i noticed a caecoptroph (spelling?) in his litter box which he hadn#t eaten, but later that night i saw him eating a few straight from his bum so i took it as a one off.

anyway, earlier i was laying on the floor and as he ran past me i smelt something a bit funny, and so i felt under his tail and around his bum and felt a large solid, but squidgy, lump of poo, completely stuck there.

i'm not very good at handling him so i couldn't get it off myself, but have booked him in the vet tomorrow to ask them to clean it for me and perhaps see if there's anything wrong.

his diet hasn't changed and he eats a lot of hay. i feed him Science Selective pellets, about 1 and a half handfuls morning and at night..

i am a bit worried that this might happen a lot :?

can anyone sort of give any thoughts?

thanks and happy christmas xx

Aww, Poor Tobey - I didnt know he had no front teeth! :) Ok I'm not sure I have much idea what Im talking about here, but hopefully If Im talking rubbish someone will correct me :) I think if I was you, I'd cut pellets out of Tobeys diet completely, and feed him a good quality hay (He can def. eat the hay cant he?) Our old bun Biscuit had this problem, and the vet never really found a reason for it ... personally after learning about bunnies after Bics had passed, I think ive a pretty good idea myself! :roll: Cant you handle him at all? Hope hes better soon, Becki X

i thought about taking him into the kitchen in his box and putting him on the counter where he would be nervous enough to let me handle him a little bit.. but im a bit over sensitive and never firm enough, and i've got no one to help me while i hold him.

shall i sort of slowly reduce the portion of pellets until it is nothing? i will feel awful for a while as he goes mad when he wants pellets :(

yeah he seems to manage hay fine! i have hay all over the place, some in the middle of the floor, some in hay racks, some in his litter boxes, he seems to enjoy most of his eating when he's on the loo, perhaps it keeps him occupied! but yeah having no teeth hasn't affected his hay eating at all! he even has very long strands which are his favourite and i think they are best for keeping his molars nice and trim.

thanks for the advice, i will see what i can do and see what the vet says too!

he's binkying as normal though so i guess he's ok for the minute until i can get him cleaned up!

My rabbit has exactly the same prob- really pooy bum! me and my mum tried to clean it when it was wet- we managed to get some off but no it all. Looked today and its still as bad!

Any suggestions what would softern it?

Bathing is not an option as she is a nervous bunny!

I have cut all her veg out, she has unlimited hay and she is kept off the grass!

kneel down on the floor with the bunny resting tummy up on your lap, you'll need one arm over the bunnys chest or they'll be off, use baby wipes to get the worst of the poo off and dry with kitchen roll or a bunny towel afterwards!

Groovychick1804 said:
My rabbit has exactly the same prob- really pooy bum! me and my mum tried to clean it when it was wet- we managed to get some off but no it all. Looked today and its still as bad!

Any suggestions what would softern it?

Bathing is not an option as she is a nervous bunny!

I have cut all her veg out, she has unlimited hay and she is kept off the grass!

How close to the skin is it? It would probably be most effective to just cut it out. Sit on a chair and wrap the rabbit tight in a towel with his bum hanging out the end and then lay her on your lap so his head is tilted back by your stomach.

This position is known as 'trancing' and due to a natural reflex it basically renders a rabbit motionless allowing you to access her underside (I use it to clip nails). Do not leave him like this for long, he is not still because he is relaxed, its because he is scared. Sounds mean I know but sometimes its for their own good. :)

You can use baby wipes to get rid of most of it.
Squidgy used to have a terrible pooey bum, but it stopped after we changed his pellets - now on A+P and doing very well. Also add some probiotic to his water if you have any.

If this is one of my buns I would cut back on the pellets to encourage him to eat more hay and increase his fibre intake, probiotics in the water can be useful. You can cut out pellets but only do this if you are 100% confident you have a rabbit who is a good hayeater. Sometimes weighing your rabbit first before you reduce or withdraw pellets can help you keep track to see if they are loosing too much weight.

Is he overweight and finding it difficult to keep himself clean? Sometimes this can happen.

Wet wipes can be useful to get your rabbit clean, help from another person is a big help to assist you. Wrapping in a towel can help when you are trying to clean him up.

tobey is ok now, the vet cut the caecotroph out of his fur and cleaned him up a bit, he doesn't have sloppy poo or anything, i HOPE it was a one off one that just got stuck there.. it was a pretty big one :shock: but i am checking every day now!

Groovychick - hope your bun is ok too :)

My mum wiped the po off with osme kitchen roll and cut the big bits off! Mistys still got some on her tail but its gradually coming off.

Thanks for the help EVERYONE!!!!

What pellets does Tobey eat? I used to quite often see one that Evo had left when he was on Excel, but since he's had Science Selective, he's not had any left behind.

Rallybunny said:
What pellets does Tobey eat? I used to quite often see one that Evo had left when he was on Excel, but since he's had Science Selective, he's not had any left behind.

tobeys on science selective too and has always been, this is the first ever caecotroph that i've seen, he normally eats them straight from his bum (even with no toothy pegs!) :)

This is what happened to my Rabbit after he was neutered, everything stuck to his coat which became thicker and fluffier. I had to clip it every week or so, hope your Rabbit has something far less serious.
Dawn.

I have a mini lop that used to get a messy bottom, but took him off excel and started him on A&P and he has been fine. He has loads of green stuff and I cut up hay and mix it in his dry food. Hopefully your bun will be ok now. Good luck. Pam

If it keeps recurring I'd reduce the pellets and increase the hay or as suggested above try a higher fibre pellet like Allen and page or bunny basics, I'm thinking of trying this for mine, works out cheaper toon

Back