• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nasty sore/scratch on Molly back

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi, I've had Molly 4 weeks now.. She's a house bun but used to be outside when she was in the rescue centre...
I bought a hutch & run for her to have a bit of fresh air in the day.. I let her have 20 mintues outside today & she seemed to really enjoy it. When I picked her up to bring her back in the house I noticed a nasty stratch & sore under her fur.. The fur around that area had come away.
Molly is not a cuddly bunny so I don't pick her up very often as I know she doesn't like it, I stroke her often & haven't noticed the sore before but saying that it could of been there as she's a fluffy girl..
She had her vacs 2 1/2 weeks ago could it be a reaction to that?
I have another rabbit & I did try bonding them 3 weeks ago but they ended up having a fight. It may had been when they had the fight but I think I would of noticed the sore but saying that I've let her come to us as she's a very nervous girl. The sore is on her neck/back I'm very worried about this I wish the vets were open today :(
Any advice ? Couldn't eat my Christmas dinner through worry .

i would clean it up with warm water and then thoroughly dry it .

As long as it isnt weepy it should heal ok . watch for any swelling though as this could be a sign of infection which could turn into an abcess .

if you re still worried tomorrow get her checked by a vet .

Angie

Just managed to pick her up again & she has another sore they look very sore & nasty.... Looking I would say these were there before we had her..
It's very hard to find them she's got such a furry coat..
She seems very happy in herself so hopefully she's not in to much pain..
Do you think I should let her outside for an hour or so tomorrow or would it be best to keep her in the warmth?

If she were mine I'd keep her in the warm and get her to the vets as soon as they're open again. The VHD jab can leave a scabby sore at the injection site. My friends bun got bitten by another and we didn't notice straight away but he had a nasty sore develop that required stitches. Hope she's ok xx

Are the sore areas on the scruff of her neck? If so it probably is a reaction to the vaccination, this is especially true for the VHD one.
Was she spayed at the Rescue? If so she may have had antibiotic injections (Baytril). This can also cause a nasty local skin reaction.

If you have any Aloe Vera Gel you can put that on the sore areas. It is soothing and rehydrates the damaged tissue.
As long as the sore areas are not weepy and your Bunny is 'well in herself' she should heal up OK.

Janex

No she wasn't spayed at the rescue. ..I don't think the area is where she had her injections its a little further down from where she had the needles(can't be 100% on that though).. Oh they look so sore bless her..
She's come on so well with us here when she first arrived she was so scared but now she's more confident by the day.. If I have visitors I have to put her in another room as she's goes into complete fright, with us though she okay but we have to be quite & slow around us...
I feel so guilty that I've not noticed these sores before today

If they are open/weepy then you can clean them with boiled water (that's been left to cool) with a pinch of salt in. If they are dry/scabbed then just keep an eye on them. As long as she's happy in herself then she should be okay until the vets are back open :)

Tam

Taking Molly to the vets at 2.30 today so will know later what's caused her sore back. She seems happy in herself but she's got to be sore bless her.

Okay back from the vets.. Molly's hurt herself some how but we are not to sure how..
We did try Molly & Bertie together ( they had a little fight) but that was 4 weeks ago! The vet thought they looked about 1 week old & were healing nicely.
We have a coffee table & noticed a rough edge underneath that so maybe she's caught herself on that.. She's was given antibiotics & I've been given stuff to put in her water for the next 4 days.. My poor poor little girl.

Back