• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just got a new bun

KazPetts

Warren Scout
Hey all, you may have noticed in the Rainbow Bridge that one of our buns died yesterday. My daughter was devastated so to cheer her up I have bought a really sweet 8 week old bunny. He has one ear up and one loppy ear, she has called him Flopsy. Poor little thing had a few matted hairs and some poo stuck in his coat so I bought some rabbit shampoo and gave him a clean up, he is currently living in her room until his fur is totally dry and I will introduce him to the outside world and the cold gradually.
Will try and get some pics of him soon, he is really tame and loves to be cuddled. Although my daughter is five she will not handle him without me being with her and I make sure she feeds and waters him and I am the one that cleans ALL the buns out.

Congrats, any pics? :D

Although, and don't take this the wrong way, I am a little concerned that your 5year old is the owner, other than handling, is she soley responsible for the bunny? :shock:

Also, not that I am one to lecture, but I assume you got him from a petshop, so if you are ever thinking of getting a new one, would do no harm to have a look around rabbit rehome first, particulary as the place you got him from sounds a little irresponsible as he shouldn't have matted hair and squishy poos, poor thing. :wink: :D

I wouldn't advise dashing out to buy a rabbit to cheer up a sad 5 year old. Or getting one that doesn't appear very healthy. Where was the rabbit bought from?

My five year old is not the sole carer, god forbid.
To be honest the place where I got the bunny from isn't a bad place, although he had poos in his fur they were not squishy and the rabbit is in good health. I checked his ears, teeth and bottom when we got him and all are clean and very healthy. His fur did not appear matted until a gave him a clean up and I have been to the place before where I got him from and have seen them with the animals. The males and females are in separate pens and from experience I have never yet seen them get this wrong. The staff love the animals, the birds are in excellent condition and I have yet to buy an unhealthy fish from them yet. The reason my little chap had poo in his coat was purly because of his long fur. His fur felt soft when I got him so it is likely to be honest that I caused the matting when I bathed the poor little thing. I was also told by the lass who sold him to me that it would not be advisable for me to house him outside straight away as the sudden change in temp could cause him to have a heart attack as it was quite warm in the shop so good advice was given.
I refuse point blank to buy rabbits or any live animal from Pets @ Home as I have had no end of problems with their animals in the past.
I have 3 kids who each have a rabbit as their pet. They feed and water their rabbit and give them plenty of love however they never do this without parental supervision. To be honest though I have to say that my kids are probably more responsible than most older pet owners. She always feeds her animal before going to school and checks his water twice a day. Lets face it how many times do you see adults being reported to the RSPCA because their animals are living in their own poo and wee and are smelly and amaciated.

On the other note I will try and get pics of our new additon when I work out how to get them from the camera to the computer. (Wish I'd got an SD format camera now rather than an XD)

KazPetts said:
My five year old is not the sole carer, god forbid.
To be honest the place where I got the bunny from isn't a bad place, although he had poos in his fur they were not squishy and the rabbit is in good health. I checked his ears, teeth and bottom when we got him and all are clean and very healthy. His fur did not appear matted until a gave him a clean up and I have been to the place before where I got him from and have seen them with the animals. The males and females are in separate pens and from experience I have never yet seen them get this wrong. The staff love the animals, the birds are in excellent condition and I have yet to buy an unhealthy fish from them yet. The reason my little chap had poo in his coat was purly because of his long fur. His fur felt soft when I got him so it is likely to be honest that I caused the matting when I bathed the poor little thing. I was also told by the lass who sold him to me that it would not be advisable for me to house him outside straight away as the sudden change in temp could cause him to have a heart attack as it was quite warm in the shop so good advice was given.
I refuse point blank to buy rabbits or any live animal from Pets @ Home as I have had no end of problems with their animals in the past.
I have 3 kids who each have a rabbit as their pet. They feed and water their rabbit and give them plenty of love however they never do this without parental supervision. To be honest though I have to say that my kids are probably more responsible than most older pet owners. She always feeds her animal before going to school and checks his water twice a day. Lets face it how many times do you see adults being reported to the RSPCA because their animals are living in their own poo and wee and are smelly and amaciated.

On the other note I will try and get pics of our new additon when I work out how to get them from the camera to the computer. (Wish I'd got an SD format camera now rather than an XD)

I think the negative responses you may have received are because most people on here dont agree with buying Rabbits from ANY Pet Shop. With over 33,000 Rabbits in Rescues in the UK it is understandable that they would want people to go to Rescues first. And those actually directly involved in Rabbit Rescue must feel like they are bashing their heads against a brick wall at times... :(

Janex :D

The negative repsonses were that half of 2006 was spent with kazpetts "urgently" trying to rehome her accidental litters - when she couldn't afford to get buns neutered & the kids "responsibly" put them together.

I'm going now. :oops:

Angie65 said:
The negative repsonses were that half of 2006 was spent with kazpetts "urgently" trying to rehome her accidental litters - when she couldn't afford to get buns neutered & the kids "responsibly" put them together.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:roll:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Angie65 said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:roll:

Janex

Sorry Kaz, but i have to agree.

Su.x

Oh dear.... :(

I didn't realise that Kazpetts had an accidental litter.

How come you have rehomed them but have now gone out and got a new rabbit??

Kazpetts, i am sure you can appreciate people's concern here esp those who have spent time and resources rehoming your rabbits.

if you can't afford to get your bun's neatuered then you shouldn't have them quite honestly as yu will end up with anotheraccedential litter.

Angie65 said:

Urm.....litters...as in plural? :shock: :cry: Oh dear, I will try not to judge, but I sincerely hope that you can a) now afford to neuter them and b) vaccinate them etc.

No accidental litter. The litter was of 11 and yes the kids put them together on one of the occassions when I was cleaning them out and the kids decided that the bunnies were safer in the rabbit run.
I couldn't afford to keep any more than 4 rabbits as housing them was going to be the main concern for cost. It wasn't all down to cost either it was down to space, we have the space for 4 cages at the moment and no more.
Perhaps you should all have a word with one of the people who rehomed one of the bunnies (Desdi) before judging me as she would vouch for the fact that ALL my bunnies are well cared for and looked after. They are all happy and the babies were handled and were handleable when they were rehomed.
I have 2 males that will be neautered when I find a vets around here that do it for less than £65 per bunny.
If I had had the time and space for the litter then I would have kept every one of them but both me and the hubby work so I don't have enough hours in the day to spend cleaning out 15 rabbits even with the help of my kids. I spend roughly an hour on each cage every other day and 20 mins every day cleaning the worst out of the cages and disinfecting them.
I make sure that all my rabbits are fed and watered and are living in clean conditions.
Not long back I was prepared to rehome a giant rabbit but that fell through because I lived too far away and the person rehoming him wouldn't do a rabbit run through previous problems with a rabbit run that went wrong not long before. So don't shoot me down in flames too soon for not looking into getting a rabbit from rescue. Not long back I rescued a male rex which someone no longer wanted.
I am also looking into converting the shed into a rabbit house but am having trouble finding space to put the junk that is in the shed at the moment. I have plans to have my males neautered and then bond them with the girls in time. I recon that the rex and my lop doe will get on great together same as my lionhead cross angora girl will get on with my half lop eared boy. They will all live in the shed which will be rabbit proofed to avoid any escapes. Any ideas for a shed home for the bunnies would be very much appreciated but as it seems at the moment this is unlikely as it seems that most people on here don't want me to have rabbits.

if you can't afford to get your bun's neatuered then you shouldn't have them quite honestly as yu will end up with anotheraccedential litter.[/quote]

This will not happen again due to the fact that I do not let the kids have their rabbits out without adult supervision. I unfortunatly learnt the hard way. Oh and before anyone else buts in and states that some of the babies died and when a post mortom was done on them the vet suspected that the father and mother were brother and sister I would like to point out that the father was 10 years old where as the mother was only a year old. Oh and yes the father I got when he was 8 from a family with a teenage daughter who allegedly had become allergic to rabbit fur. I had gone to the house to go and collect a hamster cage which as it happened had a hamster in it but wasn't advertised as such but hmmm well they didn't seem to want the hamster any more either so I took both the hamster and the unwanted rabbit so in my mind that is two unwanted animals that would have been clogging up a rescue centre somewhere but I took them on and Tom the 8 year old lived for another 3 years before dieing of old age.

P.S I know my user name is kazpetts but please when you are refering to me use my actual name of Kaz or Karen.if you can't afford to get your bun's neatuered then you shouldn't have them quite honestly as yu will end up with anotheraccedential litter.

From Kaz's previous posts, there were 2 accidental litters. The second litter all died. They were several months apart.

Not sure where the second litter came from as I know for a fact that the kids didn't put the bunnies together again so the only thing I can think of is that I didn't separate males from females soon enough.
I asked if I could advertise the bunnies on here so that i knew they were going to find good homes. There are several pet shops around here that would have bought them off me but I prefered to know that they were going to good homes rather than being sold on to someone who didn't have a clue about bunnies.
I love all our animals, we have 4 bunnies, two dogs, I myself have a 5' fish tank with tropical fish and my eldest daughter has a 3' fish tank with tropical fish in her room. I cry whenever one of my trops dies and we were all heart broken about the loss of such a special bunny on Christmas Eve.
My kids treat all the animals with love and respect and look after them really well.
I would like to point out that I AM NOT A BREEDER and do not condone breeding, I was angry at myself when the first litter came along and confused when litter number 2 came along but I was gutted that they all died. There was no sign of any of the bunnies being pregnant and no nesting took place to give me any ideas that there was a second pregnancy.
Accidents happen, kids have been told and are wise enough to know not to put the males and females together any more. My eldest got told off for it in the first place. I appreciate that there are rescues out there doing a fantastic job of taking in and re-homing unwanted rabbits and other small animals and I raise my hat to these people. I have taken in sick and injured hedgehogs in the past and have nursed them at my expense and looked after them until they were fit to be released back into their natural environment. I understand that rescues despaire at people who breed for the money and then find that homes can't be found for the bunnies so dump them at rescues claiming it was an accident but that is not me. I didn't want a litter, didn't expect a litter and certainly would never ever breed bunnies to try and gain profit. If that had been my intention I would have sold them to one of the local pet shops.
MY MALE BUNNIES ARE GOING TO GET NEUTERED SHORTLY, AM GOING TO CONTACT A VETS THAT A FRIEND OF MINE HAS PUT ME ONTO WHICH ARE CHEAPER THAN MOST OTHER PLACES AROUND HERE.

I AM NOT A BREEDER, WOULD NEVER BREED FOR PROFIT AND AM ANNOYED WITH MYSELF THAT IT HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE. I AM ALSO SORRY THAT FOR ADVERTISING THEM ON HERE HAS NOW GIVEN ME A BAD NAME BECAUSE I HAVE JUST GOT A NEW BUN.

When the first litter came along I had 4 cages, 3 containing rabbits (2 females and one female all housed separatley to avoid babies) and another cage which housed 2 beautiful guinea pigs. I couldn't afford any more cages and at the time didn't have the space for more cages either so had to find new forever homes for the babies. I didn't want to but my hubby put his foot down and told me we were not keeping them, if it had been up to me they would still be with me now!

Sorry for going off on one, I know you have all have the bunnies well being at heart but please understand that I love and care for all our bunnies and they are groomed regularly and are all happy.
They get indoor play time at separate times and I promise you all I am going to get the boys neutered in the near future. Not sure if the new addition is old enough for it to be done as he is about 8-9 week old.
I am wanting to convert the shed and make an area outside that they can run about in safely and be able to dig without being able to dig their way out but that is going to cost alot of money which I am going to have to save up for. I am going to have to spend lots of time bonding the bunnies, slowly but surely. The bunnies will eventually have loads of space to run around and binky amongst themselves and have a really happy life.

Back