• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

jaw abcesses

touie

Wise Old Thumper
touch wood none of mine have one but i was curious as to how you spot them what would the warning signs be? :?

Sometimes a Rabbit with poor tooth roots/bone density will have a very lumpy mandible (lower jaw) This is 'normal' for them BUT it is a sign of Dental Disease and frequently the erupted tooth root can become a site for infection. This presents with increased swelling, pain, anorexia and GI hypomotility. Urgent Veterinary treatment is always needed in the hope that bone infection (osteomyelitis) can be prevented. Sadly jaw abscesses are often difficult to cure. But the sooner treatment is started, which usually involves surgery, the better.

Janex

thanks :D so tooth root problems can they be picked up by an internal tooth exam or just as a lumpy jaw?

by the time Stars abcess was noticible it was almost as big as a golf ball . it showed as a slight swelling on the side of his face but didnt look noticable from the outside . He showed no other symptoms , no loss of appetite or anything :(

Dandelion's abcess was like a sausage shaped balloon lying along his cheek, with a branch heading down from his ear towards his neck. He had it when he arrived and I noticed it straight away, although by feel not by sight. I did suspect a problem from seeing how much he was dribbling, but I always check along the jaw line as part of a routine health check when an animal arrives. I also always show people adopting from me how to do it.

doorkeeper said:
I always check along the jaw line as part of a routine health check when an animal arrives. I also always show people adopting from me how to do it.

I do this with all my rabbits when I clip their nails, more often if they let me. Some of mine like to be rubbed there (including my potential bad molar bun Loki) so that helps. This is how a friend of mine found an abscessed incisor root on her bun- a small lump on his mouth that wasn't really visible yet and hadn't been there a few days before. I'm more careful to check now because of that.

Some abscesses grow very fast though. I was taking care of a bun who was fine one night but by the next morning had an abscess on her neck the size of a golf ball.

sorry to hear that :( I think I'm going to start feeling along the jaws of mine never thought about it before!

I know, you couldn' really see Zippy's but lucky it's not come up for log, but she had it drained under GA yesterday, now and it looks awfull, there is a big hole :cry:

Thank you, the way she bolting around the living room you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her, I've no worry about her not pooing it looks like she seen a sign,that says poo city, they're all stuck to my feet :lol: . Crazy rabbit

Back