• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover U/D Is she depressed?

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Well, what a start to the day. Went down to see my bunnies early this morning only to find Clover, my sturdy reliable bunny off her food with a hard tummy.

All the present wrapping/delivering went on hold and spent most of the afternoon syringing water, rubbing tummy, 'infacolling' (the new verb in my house). Bless her she seems to have picked up a little. Not eating enough but it will do I think. I am hoping she continues to pick up. She has had some hay and a little veg, some treats and a few nibbles at alfalfa. I saw eat 2 pellets. Poos aren't in abundance but normally shaped/sized...very odd.

What on earth is happening to my bunnies. Its breaking my heart. Will be off to the vets if this doesn't right itself very very soon. Sod's law its Christmas too!

Spare vibes for Clover to get back to normal would be so much appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all and bun

Fiona x

Sorry Fiona to hear this and good vibes winging their way from Aberdeen for you
81.gif

Hi there. Things looked better for Clover but now back to square one.

My little Clover looked better this morning, appetite not as great as normal but had a few munches at her hay. She also had some alfalfa (can't resist usually). She is back to looking uncomfy again

I think she is quite gassy. I am suspicious that her teeth are problematic. She is Nell and Sumi's daughter (both have needed dental treatment) so I wonder if genes are involved here. She is usually an excellent hay eater.

I am rubbing her belly and giving infacol. I also gave pain relief and fluids. I am going to syringe feed her this evening.

I so hate it when they are sick...so do my family and friends as I am grumpy and preoccupied. :cry:

Fiona x

Clover did well on Christmas night but was gassy and uncomfortable again yesterday. Bless her little heart as she tried to munch her way through it.

I took her to the vet first this morning who can see an ulcer in her left cheek so she is going under GA for a possible dental.

I am worried about her, I have been here before umpteen times in the last four months but it still scares me each time. I cry when I leave them :oops: :cry:

And to top it off, Sumi went off his food yesterday but he was 'sorted' after a bit of TLC. Keeping a close eye on him over the next few days. Just can't take anything for granted with these buns.

It never ceases to shock me just how vigilant bunny owners need to be.

Fiona x

Jack's-Jane said:
Hope Clover will soon be home and munching properly

Janex

Thanks Jane! I'm at work but going to Tesco to grab some tempting veg for her at lunchtime. Roll on 4pm when I can go and get her

Fiona x

Clover has done well in her dental. She had some small spikes which are now away, little ulcers on both of her cheeks. Poor girl.

Oh god I hope she eats tonight. The vet nurse says she has eaten hay.

Fiona x

Well, Clover was very weak last night and didn't eat at all on her own. Syringe feeding was given but didn't go so well either. I also tried to syringe boiled cooled water but she was very weak and let almost everything run out of her mouth. She lay in the same position all night :cry:

She had horrible loose diarrhoea at 4am this morning but passed a few normal droppings later (though small). I kept her warm and offered more fluids

I rushed her straight back to the vet first thing this morning who has kept her in for the day for fluids and pain relief etc.

I am convinced she gets extra tummy pain from Prepulsid. Could this have caused her diarrhoea. Maybe the infacol too?

Bless her, I am worried about her, vet seems to be worried about her too.

I can't face losing my sweet bunny

Fiona x

Poor girlie :cry:

The prepulsid may well have caused the runny poo as the drug speeds up gut motility. Also stress and all the GA drugs may have played a part. Getting fluids into her is the most important thing. I hope you receive some encouraging news from the Vet later today

Janex

Poor Clover :( Hope she goes on ok at the vets. Sending vibes to her and hugs to you. Did they say when she might be able to come home?

Hi there.

Clover is home and is still poorly. She is lying still and looks uncomfy. She has had all her meds for the day. I am just off to try to syringe feed her again. Its been disastrous. She got sub-cut fluids today.

She just took a bit of coriander and some thyme when I poked it repeatedly in her face, more out of annoyance. She is cosying in to her hot water bottle.

Her appetite is otherwise zilch. I feel terrible for putting her through the dental, at least she was munching at little before it. But I know it wouldn't have lasted.

She has done no poos since the early hours of this morning though there might be a couple stuck to her behind which I'm off to investigate.

I love my wise bunny and am so worried that I am going to lose her.

Thanks for all your well wishes

Fiona x

Only just read this..... So sorry to hear about Clover.

Sending loads of vibes and hope she feels better soon.

Back