• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

opinions nd help please???

Dobbin

Mama Doe
I would like to get Dobbin a friend - we were originally going to get one from a rescue because i am terrified of Bonding and want as much help as possible!! We went to a well known pet store yesterday and they had a gorgeous female lop bunny - but because she was older than the others she was in a cage on her own and was reduced :x :x :x .

Anyway i cant get her out of my mind - what should i do - do i go the day after boxing day and get her and beg u all for as much as possible and phone numbers for instant help!! (I cant explain how worried i am about bonding!!)

I am a teacher so it would be perfect timing to get another bun because i have time to spend with her and Dobbin and hopefully, please god - bond them.

OH and i ave just been talking about it and i could go over on the 27th and get her and then hopefully get her vaccinated at my vets the same day - would this be ok!! As my OH says we would be saving her from where she is!!!!! He was really taken by her which is lovely!!!

Please be honest with me. You know how much i adore him and what luxury house he has and i think he would love a friend and someone to share it with. What do u think?

I getting all excited now!!

Sue
xx

I'm not going to get into the getting a bun from a pet shop arguement. All I would counsel is that there are no guarantees that Dobbin and this lady will get on and you will have to consider what you will do if bunny WW3 breaks out. Could you have another set up? The biggest advantage of getting a bunny mate from a rescue is that most will carry out the bonding for you. Some people think that all buns can be bonded - I've seen some where it really isn't going to happen and wounds have been inflicted :cry:

I can understand how you've fallen in love with this bunny and I'm not going to tell you not to get her as she deserves a home as much as any bun. However, you've had a lot of health problems with Dobbin and I've read many petshop buns tend to have health problems due to bad breeding, so what I would say is that if you get one from a rescue you know more of the health and personality of the bun and bonding is easier.

I did hear of a friend who bought a rabbit from a small petshop and had to have it pts within a week due to dreadful teeth problems and when she went back to tell the petshop they didn't want to know.

However only you know how you would feel if you don't get this particular bunny but if you want my personal opinion I'd wait and go to a rescue.

Thank you for being honest. I would like to get Dobbin a friend while i am off work - do you think this is possible with a rescue bun? What would they, i need to do? I go back to work on the third Jan.

Maybe a rescue bun is the best option - i am sure they will have some gorgeous buns - i wish a rescue on here was near me.

Sue
xx

I would just say that when you home from a rescue you get the chance to let your bun pick his own life mate, which means you have a better chance of a good bonding. You also have the opportunity to test them out together and if they do not get on the bun has a loving place to go back to and a chance to try again as do you. As well as this you get the help, support and experince of someone who really knows what they are doing.

I can understand how you feel for the bunny but you could make matters worse and would need to be prepared to keep her seperatly if bonding didnt work out (then get two more rabbits as partners). Whatever you do it needs to be in the best interests of your current rabbit.

Good luck X

:oops: :oops: I hope i am not imbarassing myself or making myself look stupid. :oops: :oops:

Thank you for all advice - maybe a rescue is the best option at least then Dobbin can choose his own mae and will hopefully make him happier. He is obviusky my main priority.

Sue
xx

Dobbin said:
Thank you for being honest. I would like to get Dobbin a friend while i am off work - do you think this is possible with a rescue bun? What would they, i need to do? I go back to work on the third Jan.

Maybe a rescue bun is the best option - i am sure they will have some gorgeous buns - i wish a rescue on here was near me.

Sue
xx

Perhaps wait for half term as most rescues won't rehome over the Christmas week. Good luck with it, I'm lucky as I'm near Kayj's Bunnyhops and without her I wouldn't have MJ.

Dobbin said:
:oops: :oops: I hope i am not imbarassing myself or making myself look stupid. :oops: :oops:

Thank you for all advice - maybe a rescue is the best option at least then Dobbin can choose his own mae and will hopefully make him happier. He is obviusky my main priority.

Sue
xx

Awww you're not making yourself look stupid, you've got a beautiful bunny and you want to get him a friend, nowt wrong with that :wink: MJ and Pippa are so in love they're always cuddling and grooming and it's lovely to see. Perhaps don't rush into anything, the right bun's out there for both you and Dobbin.

I think i am back to work for just over 4 weeks before half term so if my OH and i go and look at a rescue the first Saturday we can get the ball rolling and hopefully get a new bun for Dobbin that i can spend time with them both over half term week - do you think 4 weeks would be enough time? What does a home check entail?

Thank you

I have been thinking about getting him a friend for a few weeks now and thought while i was off was the perfect time but i think i may have left it to late to start sorting!!

Sue
xx

I don't think the Christmas hols are a good time to do intros - always best to pick a day when the vets are working just incase :)

Home check timescales vary but I would think 4 weeks would be enough time for the majority of rescues :)

Tam

If you do take Dobbin to a Rescue to find him a friend I really think you need to inform them of Dobbins history of Snuffles. Even if he is clinically asymptomatic he may well still be contageous and PERSONALLY I dont think it fare to the Rescue to introduce him to lots of their Rabbits. Maybe ask if they have a Doe in who has a similar history to Dobbin ie clinically well now but a known 'Snuffler'

Janex

Back