• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!

capel

Warren Veteran
As you know, I've taken on Furby(Ex Lady ..Wrexham bunny) as a foster with an open minded attitude to perhaps keeping her, and hopefully bonding her,after she's been spayed next month, with my resident buns Floss and Bournville. Their runs are side by side on the patio and after an intial bout of aggression by Bournville towards Floss when he realised there was a new bun on the block everything settled down and things have been fine. Today as it's dry underfoot, I moved all 3 onto runs on the grass and was just watching them through the window( again F&B in one run and Furby in the other) when suddenly Bournville turned on Floss and was chasing and nipping her all over the run. :shock: When she ran into the box to get away from him he followed her in and she came shooting out in a panic. I rescued her and have put her back in the hutch/run on the patio. Her fur is all over the grass and Rog is really upset and says that if this is what's going to happen, then he's not happy with keeping Furby if Floss is going to be frightened like this. Both my two have been spayed/neutered and Furby's due to be done next month. Advice/reassurance needed desperately. :cry:

Hi, sorry no advice but I thought I'd bump this up so someone can help. Perhaps you can bond Furby with another rescue bun and keep them apart from your existing buns?

I think basically Bournville is attacking Floss because he cannot get to Furby, so he is taking his anger out on Floss. The smell of an unneutered bunn is probably upsetting him.

Once Furby is neutered I see no reason why they wont bond and you could always ask a rescue to help you, but you should be prepared that it MAY not work out and what the alternatives might be - finding her another home or getting her a friend.

In the meantime I would make sure your bonded pair cannot see or smell Furby at all.

Thanks for the bump Kayjay and to Mandy for the input. I moved the large run to another part of the lawn well out of site of the other run and then put Floss back with Bournville. She was a bit wary of him at first but within 10 mins or so they were grazing happily side by side and after an hour B was grooming Floss and everything was back to normal. The hutch runs are side by side on the patio and up till today there's been no problem. I'll review the situation tomorrow when they are out in the pation runs tomorrow morning. I may well bring her spay forward, as it hadn't occurred to me that a neutered male would be affected by an entire female and I'd supposed that the first episode of aggressoin was because there was a strange rabbit on his patch!!

It's quite common for the smell of a new bunny to upset things briefly. Usually there is a bit of chasing/mounting and then it goes back to normal. It's just the bunnies re-establishing how's boss. It should settledown pretty quick though. You could try gradually bringing the second run closer.

Tam

Thanks Tam. It's just that the aggression looked so dramatic. Thankfully Floss just kept trying to run and hide and didn't even attempt to retaliate. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Back