• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bad foot bandage was too tight

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I feel terrible Fudge kept pulling his bandages off so i did it a bit tighter and now I've just looked and his foot is all swollen and sore and he won't let me take it off. My mums on her way round to hold him for me but i feel so bad. What can i do apart from take it off? :(

Yikes :shock: :cry:
If its stopped the blood supply he could be in trouble :cry:

Hope infection has not set in. Sounds like a Vet may be needed.......

Janex

I've got it off, his toes are swollen and hot, not a good sign :( I phoned the hospital for advice and they said it should return to normal in a few hours when the blood comes back to it, and to try and encourage him to hop. I'm not so sure I'm wondering whether to give him antibiotics :? She said if it's still bad about 6pm to phone the hospital again. He's not hopping or putting weight on it at all he's just sitting there licking it :(

edit: in fact i know it's difficult to offer advice over the phone but she even told me to put the bandages on again after a few hours :shock: don't think i'll be using those again :(

No experience of this, but hope he picks up. Would it be possible to put a sock (as in childs/baby) over it to keep it clean and then to just tie a strip of bandage around the top as a temporary measure? :? Sorry, just trying to think of possibilities....

He'd probably just pull it off he got quite a few bandages off, I think seeing as the sore hocks aren't really bad I'd just be better off leaving them to heal naturally. He's still sat there licking :(

still no better and its 4 hours since i first posted :( he's hopping without putting it on the floor. I've put him out in the garden for a bit in the hope that the cold will help the inflammation, sitting here with the patio doors open freezing!

touie said:
still no better and its 4 hours since i first posted :( he's hopping without putting it on the floor. I've put him out in the garden for a bit in the hope that the cold will help the inflammation, sitting here with the patio doors open freezing!

I think he needs to be seen by a Vet now. He certainly sounds as though he is in pain :cry: And if infection has set in it can become very serious very quickly :cry:

Janex

would the vet do anything other than give him baytril though because i have that here. It would obviously be an emergancy vet and I'd be annoyed to be paying £100 only to be sent home with a bottle of Baytril :(

touie said:
would the vet do anything other than give him baytril though because i have that here. It would obviously be an emergancy vet and I'd be annoyed to be paying £100 only to be sent home with a bottle of Baytril :(

I would think he needs an anti-inflammatory too. Also an assessment of exactly what has happened. Vet cant do that properly over the phone.
If it is his hocks that are the problem and he is now not weight baring then unfortunately that could indicate tendon damage or infection in the synovial joint :cry:

Janex

it's just the end inch of his toes he's taking all the weight on his hocks when he sits. He is hopping round, eating, drinking, but is not putting his foot on the floor. I really need to get someone round to hold him again so i can get a good look before i make a decision i think.

I just chased him in from thee gfarden and he is taking a bit more weight on it after the cold.

called my mum round again so i could have a good look at it. It actually looks so much better than it did before it looks like a normal foot now a great improvement on the distorted thing I saw earlier. It feels hot still but not really swollen. I think i'm going to give him Baytril as a precaution and take him to the vets when the surgery opens again. Obviously if he gets worse i'll take him to the emergancy hospital. But I'm quite hopefull it's going to be ok now. Is the 27th a bank holiday too ? :?

thanks. I'm just wondering what to do with him tonight now. I'm staying at my parents tonight but will be back to feed, exercise and check on bunnies late morning before going back there for dinner (they only live 10 mins away). do I...

a) leave Fudge home alone tonight in his own territory or

b) take him along so i can keep an eye out, but he'll be in a strange place with a mental kitten on the prowl :?

edit: thinking about it as much as i don't want to i think he'd be better off staying at my house as just remembered my brothers dogs going to be there too tomorrow. I think a kitten and a dog might be too much stress :( healing vibes needed hope he's ok tonight. I spoke to the emergency vet service and booked him in at the hospital on Wednesday as long as things don't get worse before then.

seems a bit better today, he's hopping around quite well taking weight on it and instead of holding his foot off the floor he's flicking it around. Had a quick look and i thought it looked ok too :D

touie said:
seems a bit better today, he's hopping around quite well taking weight on it and instead of holding his foot off the floor he's flicking it around. Had a quick look and i thought it looked ok too :D

That's great :D

Fudge seems completely fine today, he's hopping around normally and has been up on the sofa and the stairs for the first time since xmas eve, and he's been eating properly again :D

Back