• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

yucky hay?

lucyj

Mama Doe
Ive jst been out 2 H & H, bought a new bag of hay for them 2day. Its meadow hay, from the same shop that i normally get and it's the same type, but it's really coarse and sort of brown coloured. The bag I bought 2 weeks ago was lovely and soft and green. Is the brown stuff still okay 2 use? They still seem 2 be eating it, but it's taking them longer 2 munch a strand.

Hay does vary, I used to buy bags but found one of them to be dampish and not nice. Now I get a bale, loads cheaper and much nicer hay. I would think it's ok to eat though, it's probably not as fresh but sometimes rabbits prefer that I've heard.

Yeah Ive noticed different shades of green before, some dark some light, and that some have the whole heads in and some don't, but this is the 1st time Ive got brown. It's still dry enough. I did think about getting a bale as I know some1 who has a farm but I have nowhere 2 store it :)

Like u say thy might like it more, I bought hay frm Asda before and I didnt think it was very good so I was jst using it for their bed and putting nice hay in their hay rack, and thy were munching the stuff in their bed 1st

I had to chuck a half a bag of hay away today as it was a bit pants. It was dusty and I kept getting slinters on my hand, which wasn't very nice - made me wonder if the poor buns were getting the same problem. I'd chuck if you are not sure.

I used to get bales when I had storage - it was definately better hay (not that I'm a hay connoiseur!).

I was surprised by how small a bale is that you buy, it fitted in the back of my small car and goes in my shed on it's end easily and fitted on top of the hutch except MJ kept jumping on top of it to eat and poo :roll:

Back