• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dosage of Metochlopramide?

It is never a good idea to administer Metoclopromide without consulting your Vet FIRST. If given to a Rabbit that has a GI obstruction it is likely to cause a FATAL rupture of the intestines. You need to be CERTAIN the Rabbit you give the drug to is not obstructed.

Janex

Yes I'd agree with Jane on that - I had to watch Pepsi die from a rupture, and it was the vet who administered the metaclop. :?

When I asked the vet 'what if it's a blockage?' she said he'd die from that anyway, as gut surgery is usually fatal on a rabbit - so she administered the gut stimulant.

If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have been inclined to wait, give him pain relief, lots of water, liquid paraffin, and hope that the blockage would work its way through the gut in a few days - As it was he blew up like a balloon and died - although thankfully he'd had painkillers. Giving gut stimulants seems to be a knee-jerk reaction with vets, and it's not always wise.

It was just a thought really, just in case I needed to. I certainly wouldn't give it without speaking to the vet. The vet gave her a dose on thurs and fri. She's only pooing a little bit now, and I'd read that it can be given for up to 2 weeks.

I am hoping she'll be ok now.

Nicola

My last rabbit Little Happy, had to use this drug because he never eat hay, so he sometimes got soft poos. He's a 15.5 lb. Flemish Giant

At somewhat serious to serious case, the vet prescribed 3 times x 8 hr. by syringe at 3 cc.

At below average to average case, 2 times x 12 hr. by syringe at 3 cc.

Administrate the above for a few days or until the symptoms are gone

From your note I am not sure if you are talking about the oral dose or the injection dose. The oral dose should only be used in extreem caution in cases of gut stasis, as the drug will be poorly absorbed whilst the gut is sluggish, by giving additional doses the medicine will accumulate in the gut, once the gut starts working porperly the animal will suddenly become overdosed on the medication.

Grace is ok now anyway, but it was the injectable variety I have got but the human dose in a glass vial (10mg in 2ml).

I don't think I would have given it her anyway, in case something happened to her. I would have never forgiven myself.

Nicola

Those amt. are for oral. and I agree once the blockage is thru or somewhat mostly thru, the medication should stop

Back