• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does this sound right (sorry its a bit long)

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I was at the vet today with Malibu, I didnt see the vet we usually see because he wasnt there.

Anyway, I asked about having Scarlett and Malibu spayed and the vet told me that the best thing to do is to bring them back in about 3 or 4 months to get them done.

He said that I should wait until its warmer and also they are switching to different anesthetics in a few months, which will make the operation easier and less stressfull for the bunnies. Because it is odourless or something and the smell of the one they use now stresses them out. I wish I had remembered the names he was saying but I cant!

Does this sound right? Sorry if this is a really silly question :oops:

I also told him I was planning on bonding Trip and Scarlett after she had been spayed then finding a boyfriend for Malibu

And he said that because it is a risky operation and I should bond them both first and bring them in with their boyfriends. This is what my other vet had already told me to do with malibu to try and calm her down.

I said wont it be harder to bond unspayed females (with neutered boys) and he said it shouldnt be any more difficult than if they were spayed.

I dont know what to do now. I want to know if the thing about the anesthetic is true because I am already very nervous about getting them spayed and I have been putting it off for a while with Malibu because I didnt want her to get too stressed and not cope with it :?

And Im not sure if I should go ahead and bond Trip and Scarlett (they will have a new hutch and run) then have her spayed. And bond Malibu with a neutered boy and then get her spayed.

Im am really confused. Has anyone else been given this advice from a vet, to bond before the female is spayed?

I can't comment on the issue with anaesthetics, but if you are unsure, then ask if you can get a second opinion, if they are not keen, then try another vet, if it is true then the other vet should know ab out it too.

As for the bonding thing, I have taken unbonded and bonded buns, can't say I noticed any difference, it was more to do with the character of the buns to start off with.

As for the bonding thing, I have taken unbonded and bonded buns, can't say I noticed any difference, it was more to do with the character of the buns to start off with.

Thanks. I just really dont know what to do. Malibu and Scarlett both get quite nervous at the vets but are fine at home.

I think bonding went ok with Malibu and Trip the first time, so Im ok about bonding Scarlett and trip before she is spayed. I was just wondering if this is advice anyone else has got, about bonding first then taking them in together for the operation.

I can't comment on the issue with anaesthetics, but if you are unsure, then ask if you can get a second opinion, if they are not keen, then try another vet, if it is true then the other vet should know ab out it too

I did speak to another vet that was there about this too. After the first vet had told me. The vet who sees my cat was asking about the animals and I said about the anesthetic and she said yes thats right, and that a few people have been in this month that have decided to wait until they are using it.

Unneutered females can be territorial but to behonest as long as you're on neutral territory and bonding boy-girl I've never had a problem with them being unspayed.

Tam

Unneutered females can be territorial but to behonest as long as you're on neutral territory and bonding boy-girl I've never had a problem with them being unspayed

Thanks tamsin

It is boy - girl, they will be bonded on neutral territory and when they come home they will have a new hutch and run.

Thats made me feel better :D

Can't advise on spaying advice from vet but I bonded Zion and Fia before Fia was spayed. Fia was pretty hormonal and a bit grumpy at times but bonding went well.

I took them both to the vets when Fia was spayed and they were fine. They came home in separate carriers and I put fia in a hutch in the kitchen and zion stayed outside for one night and then I let them both out together to get Fia eating. They have been fine ever since.

I probably wouldn't get a bun spayed at this time of year if the buns live outside as they will have to be indoors for a few days and put back outside again in this freezing cold weather and I think it may be too much for them. That's just me though :D

Good luck

Shiv, Zi & Fia

I took them both to the vets when Fia was spayed and they were fine. They came home in separate carriers and I put fia in a hutch in the kitchen and zion stayed outside for one night and then I let them both out together to get Fia eating. They have been fine ever since

So they were ok after being seperated for a night. Would I need to seperate them longer if she had just had an operation?

I probably wouldn't get a bun spayed at this time of year if the buns live outside as they will have to be indoors for a few days and put back outside again in this freezing cold weather and I think it may be too much for them. That's just me though

No I agree with that, the plan was to have them spayed at the end of January and keep them in the house until spring. Dont worry I wasnt going to keep them in and then just stick them back out in the cold :D

Back