• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water freezing...

Missboo

New Kit
Pebbles' water has frozen a bit today in her bottle. Any suggestions in trying to prevent this??

Thanks in advance :D

I just cover the bottles in bubble wrap, also See if you can put the bottle on the inside of the hutch instead of the outside :D

Mine have a Winne Pooh Thermal sock over their water bottle and as yet, touch wood, it hasn't frozen.. we were down to -6c last night too :shock:
RIMG0911.jpg

All our bunny bottles were frozen this morning and they are in the bunny shed!! Must have been very cold last night, fortunately they have their snugglesafe heat pads in there to keep them warm :D Might try the sock trick tonight though - off to look through OH's sock drawer :lol: :lol:

I always have odd socks about, no idea why :roll: All my bottles have them on, maybe I could get a matching pair :lol:

I bought a scratch&newtons bottle snug from ebay, it was £10 and its gr8. Like foil/bubble wrap on the inside thn waterproof material on the outside. We've had a few nights that have been -3 out here lately and it's never been even starting to freeze. I still check it tho to make sure the water hasnt frozen inside the metal tube that sticks out. I also have a spare bottle tht I keep in the house, so tht if it ever does freeze I can jst pop the other 1 out and not have 2 wait for it to defrost, although i suppose u could put it in the microwave :)

lucyj said:
I bought a scratch&newtons bottle snug from ebay, it was £10 and its gr8. Like foil/bubble wrap on the inside thn waterproof material on the outside. We've had a few nights that have been -3 out here lately and it's never been even starting to freeze. I still check it tho to make sure the water hasnt frozen inside the metal tube that sticks out. I also have a spare bottle tht I keep in the house, so tht if it ever does freeze I can jst pop the other 1 out and not have 2 wait for it to defrost, although i suppose u could put it in the microwave :)

Just put it under hot water!

I've never known my buns bottle to freeze completely though, I expect thats because I'm so far south! I always find its the metal spout that freezes and stops water getting through! The other night I changed the bottle 3 times to make sure they could still drink!

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lucyj wrote:
I bought a scratch&newtons bottle snug from ebay, it was £10 and its gr8. Like foil/bubble wrap on the inside thn waterproof material on the outside. We've had a few nights that have been -3 out here lately and it's never been even starting to freeze. I still check it tho to make sure the water hasnt frozen inside the metal tube that sticks out. I also have a spare bottle tht I keep in the house, so tht if it ever does freeze I can jst pop the other 1 out and not have 2 wait for it to defrost, although i suppose u could put it in the microwave

Just put it under hot water!

I've never known my buns bottle to freeze completely though, I expect thats because I'm so far south! I always find its the metal spout that freezes and stops water getting through! The other night I changed the bottle 3 times to make sure they could still drink!

oh yeah never thought of tht, blonde moment! Yeah I've noticed on the weather that right down south england is always a good few degrees hotter than here, Im right up near Aberdeen. My bf was working in Gosport for ages and it was always hot, u'd have thought he'd been in spain he was so brown not gosport in september :lol:

Don't microwave the spout tho, the metal will blow up your microwave

yep :lol: i bought new plates tht have silver swirls on the edges, put 1 in the micro and ud have thought thr was fireworks in there!

I got a bottle snug for my two. I am also waiting for a snuggle safe heat pad to make them a bit more comfortable. Although I don't think they are all that bothered about the cold to be honest! :roll:

Well u know Dobbin - he is very spolit - he has a bottle snug and a second snugglesafe which we put his water bowl on it stops it from freezing!!

Sue
xx

I know you guys don't get nearly as cold, but where I am we usually recommend not to use water bottles in winter at all. When it's -30 F the spouts tend to freeze so quickly that they're pretty much useless. Bowls are definitely easier to keep unfrozen.

Back