• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Help Needed - Alice's Lips Turned Blue

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
HI,

Alice has developed a very snotty nose and is on Baytril to try to sort it out. Her eye is also veryrunny and the ulcer has come back.

We were edvised to bring her inside and she is now a house bunny. This morning I got up to feed her and she was having difficukty breathing. I picked her up to try to clear the blockage with a tissue but she started to gasp through her mouth and her lips started to turn blue. I managed to clear her nose but this obviously can't go on. I'm taking her to the vets at 2pm but any advice you can give me will be appreciated.

We're also going away for xmas today and Alice is supposed to be staying with my Mum. I can't let my Mum go through all this because she won't know what to do!!

Help please, I'm going out of my mind with worry...

Gemma

Hi Gemma

If you can, get a sample of the snot (in something clean like a washed syringe) and get your vets to do a culture test, it may not be pasturella but another bacteria which baytril might not be any use on.

I had a similar thing with Marcel de Bun and I too thought it was pasturella but it turned out to be a different bacteria which is why the baytril was not clearing it, he ended up on septrin for three weeks which has (touch wood) done the trick :D

In the meantime, keep her warm, try hanging a tissue with some olbas oil on it close by so it will help her breathing. Good luck at the vets, mega vibes for little Miss Alice Bun x

The blueness around your Alice's mouth is an indication that she is getting inadequate amounts of oxygen being pumped around her body. I would also suggest the olbas oil, keep her warm, probiotics in the water whilst she is on antibiotics.

We are all thinking of you and Alice.

Aww Gemma - so sorry to hear Alice still isn't well, poor girl. Can't really advise anything, but good luck at the vets. Taking a sample along seems a good idea.

Try the Vicks in hot water again - if she was ok after you cleared her nose maybe she was just bunged up from overnight.

Give her a hug from me and the buns.

I would advise you to contact your Vet again. The cynosis is, as Janice says, an indication that she is not getting enough oxygen in her bloodstream. She may need a change of antibiotic. My Vet feels Baytril is totally inappropriate for Respiratory tract infections. Septrin (Co-trimoxazole) is her first abx of choice. However, I think she may well opt to go straight in with Depocillin Injections in Alice's case. I dont think she can wait for the results of a MC+S on a swab. Bisolvon could also be given to reduce the mucus production.

Alice may need to be admitted for nebulisation and/or oxygen therapy.
I really do think you need to speak with your Vet again today

Janex

Hi,

Thanks all for your replies.

Alice has been given a different antibiotic to take alongside the Baytril. It's called Terramycin and lasts for 48 hrs. Apparently its good for respiratory tract infections but isn't licenced for buns. Anyone had any experience with this?

I'm already giving her a pinch of Bisolvon twice a day but so far it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Is the dosage right? Alice weighs 2.7kg.

To help her breathing I'm also giving her vicks in hot water to breathe. Is this ok or should I get some Olbas Oil?

Alice turned back to her normal colour once I'd cleared all the mucus from her nose. I'm worried that this will happen again, so is there anything I can do to help her? I've read about getting a babies nasal suction cup, anyone had any success with this?

In the meantime Alice is inside and seems happy enough again, she's eating sort of ok until she can't breathe then she stops... I'm coping with that though.

Thanks for all your kind words and advice, I'll keep you posted.

Gemma xx

Yes, I have used the baby nasel aspirator (I bought from the baby stuff aisle in Tesco), with great sucess.

Helps if you have a friend to help you - it sucessfully sucked some awful stuff out of my rabbits nose - yuk!

Aunty Gemma, I am a snuffly girl and I have terramycin from time to time, it works really very well for me and clears my nose up lovely and quickly. My mum gives me a good pinch of bisolvon daily and I weigh about 900g so you may be able to give a little more. My mum has a nasal aspirator but my mucus is usually very watery so she's never needed to use it.

I hope Alice starts to feel better very soon :D

Fantastic! Thank you!

We've just arrived at my Mum's where Alice is staying for a few days and she seems to be settling in well. I'm going to pop to Asda to get one of the nasal aspirators, I might have to persuade someone to help me with the yukky bit!

Will keep you posted.

Many thanks,

Gemma xx

OK, I couldn't get a nasal aspirator tonight but I'm hoping Boots or somewhere will stock them in the morning.

I think we're going to have to make a trip to the vets up here too to get her some Metaclopromide as she's completely stopped eating now and her poos are tiny.

Luckily I have some recovery feed but I can't leave my Mum to do that over Christmas. I'm at my wits end, completely worried out of my mind and have no idea how I'm going to manage with the vets being closed as of tomorrow.

Gemma xx

Hi there,

We went back to the vets this morning and Alice was given some Metaclopromide and also some injected Metacam.

Unfortunately she still isn't eating apart from a few mouthfuls of oats mixed in some science recovery. I have been syringe feeding her all day and this with the Metaclopromide usually starts her eating almost straight away.

I can take her back tomorrow if she still isn't eating, but I'm really not sure what could be causing it now. The Terramycin seems to be working now as her nose isn't quite as noisy or runny.

Another worry now is the vet found a lump around where her tear duct is going towards her nose. They said it felt like it was in the bone which I'm very worried about.

Alice is hopping about in the same room as me and she's actually donw about 30 poos and they're looking a good size. At least I know her guts are moving, but why isn't she eating? Any clues what I can do? Usually Metaclopromide is a miracle drug with Alice and there's no filling her a few hours after the injection.

Gemma xx

AliBenMummy said:
Hi there,

We went back to the vets this morning and Alice was given some Metaclopromide and also some injected Metacam.

Unfortunately she still isn't eating apart from a few mouthfuls of oats mixed in some science recovery. I have been syringe feeding her all day and this with the Metaclopromide usually starts her eating almost straight away.

I can take her back tomorrow if she still isn't eating, but I'm really not sure what could be causing it now. The Terramycin seems to be working now as her nose isn't quite as noisy or runny.

Another worry now is the vet found a lump around where her tear duct is going towards her nose. They said it felt like it was in the bone which I'm very worried about.

Alice is hopping about in the same room as me and she's actually donw about 30 poos and they're looking a good size. At least I know her guts are moving, but why isn't she eating? Any clues what I can do? Usually Metaclopromide is a miracle drug with Alice and there's no filling her a few hours after the injection.

Gemma xx

She may not be eating because she is not feeling too good. She has had a nasty infection and if your Vet detected a boney abnormality near her eye it MIGHT be that infection has gone into the bone (osteomyelitis) This is a painful condition and maybe the 'mechanics' of eating -ie chewing -make it hurt more. I would speak with the Vet again today as Alice may need a stronger pain killer, more metoclopromide and maybe a Vitamin B injection to try to boost her appetite.

As she has a history of eye abscessess/ulcers then it MIGHT be that something is going on 'in her head' and the abx have localised the infection :? :?

Poor Alice :( Hope she feels better very soon

Janex

Just to let you know that my beautiful Alice bun passed away this morning. Alice lost all her fight and I knew it was time. I will miss her beyond belief as she was with me through lots of milestones in my life. Alice was the one permanent thing in my life and I loved her with all my heart. It was the most difficult decision I've ever had to make, but she was very peaceful and I know that I have done the one final thing that I could to help her to the Bridge where she can play with Milo, her one love.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Gemma xx

:cry: So sorry to read this. You're obviously devastated but did the best thing by Alice.

Binky Free at the Bridge Alice

Back