• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

keeping warm

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
at the mo after duchess's porrly spell and weight loss i have noticed her snuggling in blankets etc more and when i touch her feetand ears they are always cold. i know i wont get her a snugglesafe now until after christmas/new year time but is there anything i can use in the meantime? would a hot water bottle work?obviously not filled with very very hot water like how i would have it but just with warm/hot water? after christmas day i could put a very hot water bottle under the cushion in their new bed as it is very difficult to remove the cushion. at the moment i have my window shut all day and the heating on low/medium i also give her evening cuddles when she gets under my duvet and snuggles up to me chest :love:, what other ways can i help her keep warm (p.s. if i give them straw they just tend to spread it everywhere, eat a bit then totally ignore it. )

Hot water bottles are pretty good, but only stay warm for a short time :? Is there a p@h near by? I know it isnt ideal getting one from there but with your girly having been poorley, I think it's something i would def. do. Does she have blankets on top of the hutch? Also, I'd put so much hay & straw in that it couldnt be shoved out of the way, Then she'd be able to make tunnels and nests in it? Warm water in her bottle/bowl may be good for them too :) X

why didnt i think of PAH??? ( :roll: at me ) mum and dad are going near one at the weekend so will ask them to get one. i cant stuff to much hay/straw in as they are in an indoor cage but might get a spare duvet and cover the cage up thanks :thumb:

Sorry for sounding daft, are these indoor buns? If so are they in an area where there is heating? If they are they should not need any additional heat source as they have a nice fur coat to keep them warm.

yes they are indoor buns but the heating is not turned up too high teegra is absolutely fine with the temperatur but as duchess was ill last week she lost quite a bit of weight and is still recovering and she seems cold quite a lot so was going to get something she could cuddle upto if she wanted to

If her cage is covered to avoid any drafts, she has a friend to snuggle up to and she has a sheltered area like a box she can find it which perhaps has a towel, blanket or vet bed she should be ok. If you are still concerned and don't have a snuggle safe a lemonade bottle which is thicker plastic filled with hotish water could be used under a blanket. Obviously keep a close on eye on them to make sure they dont chew it, althought the plastic is fairly thick and difficult to bite on.

Back