• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT! Really worried about Ludo :( ....UPDATE

xSarahx

Warren Scout
Ludo has been really sleepy all day. He's really lethargic & yawning, he's panting but feels cooler than normal. He's really floppy when I pick him up & just runs a little way when I put him down, then he flops out :(

He's eating & pooing fine & his tummy isn't hard.

He's an indoor bun & today he's eaten A&P pellets, carrots, cabbage & hay.

Please please can anyone give me any clues as to what he may be suffering from? :(

It is very difficult to tell what is the problem with your Ludo, from your description their could be many reasons. My advise would be to get him to the vets tonight ASAP so that treatment can be started tonight. Rabbits do not usually show that they are ill and hide their problems, please, please get help for him tonight.

Sorry cannot help but i suggest you get him to the vets.
Hope all goes well please keep us updated.

jrn1310 said:
It is very difficult to tell what is the problem with your Ludo, from your description their could be many reasons. My advise would be to get him to the vets tonight ASAP so that treatment can be started tonight. Rabbits do not usually show that they are ill and hide their problems, please, please get help for him tonight.

Ditto

If he has increased respiratory rate that is indicative of pain. If by 'panting' you mean he is breathing through his mouth then this is an EMERGENCY and he is a very sick Bunny who needs Veterinary attention NOW... :cry:

Please keep us posted

Janex

Hey Jane,

No, I think I'm just being a bit hyper sensitive to the way he seems. He's breathing normally & not through his mouth. He's a little cooler than normal but mostly he's just totally tired out, yawning & licking his lips occasionally.

I've tired to get him to lay on a snuggle safe but he just jumps off & wants to kip in his hay or in his usual spots. He's responsive when I go to stroke him & when his wife goes to clean him, but otherwise really snoozy.

Took Ludo to the emergency vets last night. The vet checked him over & found that he was rather swollen in his upper abdomen, just under his rib cage. The vet said he was slightly hypothermic. He gave him two shots of pain relief & a shot of Metaclopromide. He's given me five sachets of Bio-Lapis to give to Ludo via syringe, each over a 24 hour period.

He looked brighter when he got home from the vets, & his temperature went back to normal. There was lots of "grrr-I've-been-to-the-vets" stamping - much more attitude! He started munching on his hay straight away. I stayed up until 4am giving him Bio-Lapis every hour or so & keeping him active (the vet said this would help). Today he seems a little moody, tummy is still swollen, but he's eating hay, taking his meds & I'm moving him around as much as possible as he seems to want to keep still. He's pooping lots, although they are slightly smaller than usual.

We think it was caused by me being a total idiot & giving the buns spring greens pretty much everyday for the last week, so the gas has built up, & now I guess will take time to dissapate. I'm such a moron. The wife is fine, thank God. Plain food on the menu for my two!

Any other things I can do to help Ludo?
Would giving him Infacol help, or should I refrain from giving it to him while he's on the Bio-Lapis?

Glad Ludo seems on the mend. :)

I must admit, I'm a bit guilty of feeding a lot of cabbage and greens this last week, since the grass has been so frozen/wet.

Thank you for the advice & kind words, as ever. :)

The little monkey has just run outside with the wife - so much for keeping him warm! At least he's running about though!

How much greens is too much greens??

I give my a cabbage leave (large one) and broccoli every day ... is that too much????

Glad to hear that Ludo seems to be getting better

Cabbage upsets Bobby and Salt, so they just have Spring Greens now, a large leaf each for the big bunnies and a small leaf each for the littlies. I keep their diet fairly bland, and exactly the same, as I don't want to upset their little tummies. So greens, a little spinach and a little celery in the morning, a couple of sprouts in the afternoon, then carrot and carrot tops in the evening.

Back