• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas journey with Rusty-edit-where to buy rescue remedy

Lynette

Warren Scout
Just wondering if any one has any tips for my journey back home.

Going to be going to Swansea where my parents are on Saturday and its a 3 hour drive on a good day. Got a big pet carrier with lots of hay but just very nerous now. Will he be ok? Where shall I put the carrier? Shall I stop often?

Very nervous now and wishing OH's parents could look after him but just very difficult with it being Christmas.

Any tips? :?

my guineas just made a 4 hour journey from york to home. they just had penty of hay and a little basil to help them settle. i made sure i stopped twice, once was about 45mins break, so i had a chance to watch them drink and let them eat without the worry of moving. they werent at all bothered. when i transported buzz from where i got him it was 2 hours back, same process, only one 30 min stop, and a bigger carrier. the guineas were on the back seat next to me, but if i was the only one in the car i like them in the boot of the car with the seat dropped down one side, then i have the carrier bungeed to the car so it cant move. never had any probs yet, and having the seat down means oyu can hear them moving about in there. im sure it will all go fine :)

Awwww it will be fine. I take bottles of water on a long journey and let them have a drink (remember bowl), but that's only if the journey is really long, so we can do a pit stop and they can have a run around in car. Might be a good idea to take some water in case you get caught out in snow.

Plenty of hay should be fine, I'd stop half way and offer him a drink from a bottle/bowl. Make sure the car doesn't get to hot/he's not too close to a heater.

Put the carrier somewhere where it can't got far if you break suddenly. So in a foot well or secured on a seat.

Tam

Thanks guys. Still terrified :shock: but at least I know he should be ok. Shall check twenty times that I have the water and bowl! :lol:

I'm very good at worrying! :D

Just a warning for anyone travelling with their buns, don't put them in the boot. Even if it's just a 15 minute journey or something. On the way to the ARC open day the buns were almost put in the boot (as we went along with several carriers) but weren't in the end. Which was very lucky as a car ended up smashing into the back of us on the way! I won't put any animals in the boot, and if we take the dog anywhere we usually fold one of the back seats down and make her lay on it (and I sit next to her)

Boots or Holland and Barratt. I've taken it myself for exams, funerals and interviews.

its called Bach Rescue Remedy, u'll get it in some chemists or Id think health food shops as well, near the essential oils. Jst a little bottle, I think its brown. I friend of mine found it a life saver at the time of her wedding! My vet suggested it to me when I was bonding the boys, but I didnt nd it :)

Back