• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hope I've done the right thing....

minilops

Alpha Buck
I'm in a bit of a dilemma..... as part of my job I have to check on rented properties and when I went to one property in October, in the garden there was a poor rabbit, which although looked healthy, was in a small hutch and had next to no water in his bottle and just a small amount of unappetising rabbit mix. The poor thing was in lots of mess and didn't look as though he had been cleaned out for a while. I worried about this for a couple of days and then reported it to the RSPCA, as it was really bothering me. I went back to the house yesterday on a routine check and they've only got another two rabbits in a small cage! One had a runny eye and again, next to no water in the bottle. Also the hutch was filthy and they had no bedding to keep them warm, let alone hay to eat. I tried to reassure myself that the first rabbit was still there and if they hadn't been feeding and watering him, he would not have survived since October. I have been worrying about these bunnies all night and this morning I rang the RSPCA again. They are going to check on the buns, but if she finds out it's me I could be in a lot of trouble at work! The man on the RSPCA line did say it is anonymous, but I'm sure she'll work out it's me. Oh well, the animals' welfare must come first, I keep telling myself. Please tell me I've done the right thing.....my bunnies are so well looked after and loved, I can't bear to think of those three suffering. My friends tell me I've done the right thing, but if she works out it's me and rings my office, I'll be in trouble! Oh dear, any advice anyone? :(

Hi there,

First of all, WELL DONE you for reporting the animals. If work ever found out i'm sure they would understand the situation and why you had to do it.

If you hadnt of reported it then it would have prayed on your mind for evermore, and you would have felt so guilty.

You have thought of the buns first and that is wonderful :D

You defiently did the right thing.

I would just deny any knowledge if she rings up...but i doubt she will as most people would be quite embarassed to admit that the RSPCA have called round.

So is one of the two there now the original bun you saw?

Well done :thumb: you have done the right thing..
We all have to stick up for aminals as they can't do for themselves...
Good on you.

Yes, the original bun is still there (he had a very runny eye), but she's got TWO more! I know I did the right thing, as I can't stop thinking about them. I still think she'll know it's me as they are in a small back yard and no-one else can probably see them and she'll know I've just been. On the other hand, who else could help them? What do you think the RSPCA will do?

Well done you - yes I think you did the right thing too. Surely you can't get in to trouble from work for this because I think part of a tenants agreement is saying they'll not do anything "illegal" on the property and surely causing an animal to suffer is an offence?

Hope the RSPCA do their part now. Will you get any update from them?

They said I won't get an automatic update, but they assured me they will get on to it very soon! Does anyone know what will happen if they find the animals in bad living conditions? Will they have the power to remove them, or will they go back and check again? Anyone know?

You did the right thing. I cant see how your emplyers can cause you any trouble for reporting it. You had a moral obligation to do so and were there for legitimate reasons.

Mad Bunster said:
Well done you - yes I think you did the right thing too. Surely you can't get in to trouble from work for this because I think part of a tenants agreement is saying they'll not do anything "illegal" on the property and surely causing an animal to suffer is an offence?

Hope the RSPCA do their part now. Will you get any update from them?

you cant get into trouble, if the animals are suffering she is breaking the law, therefore you were reporting a criminal offence.

even if she does work out its you, it might scare her into looking after them properly if the rspca dont take them off her. and if they do its her own stupid fault for neglecting them,

you've done the right thing hun i promise!!

Hi again! Does anyone have any idea what action, if any, the RSPCA may take? Any one had any experience with them?

Normally if I remember rightly , I think they go round and say about not looking after them properly - tell them how to look after them, then do a random spot check to see if the owners have got their act together, if not I think then they take them away.

Thanks for your replies. I just hope the RSPCA do take some action and not leave them where they are. They deserve better. This kind of thing breaks my heart and I can't stop thinking about them, especially when I see my own happy, well looked after bunnies! Does anyone know how many warnings she might get? I would have thought one would be more than enough for them to take action - do they get a health check, ie, teeth check by the Inspectors when they go to assess the situation, does anyone know?

Back