• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about flopsy

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
i have had flopsy for about 6 months and she hasn't put any weight on at all. when i picke her up even with out trying to i can feel her spine, ribs and hips. i can fit my whole hand round her. she is fed ad lib as she is still young. she hops about like mad and plays etc but she is tiny

Has she had a vet check at all? Some bunnies when young do go through a rather skinny stage and fill out later on, but if you are worried I would get her to a vet.

Nicola

I would take her to the vets for a check over..
I have had Molly 3 weeks now & she was so skinny when I took her in.. She's now filled out & so much healthier I can't believe the change in just 3 weeks.

i feed them supa bunny excel mixed with lovelife and tesco rabbit and guineapig food, Holly seems to eat alot of it but flopsy still gets alot. holly leaves some for her.

Frida is still quite skinny and she's 7 months nearly but you cant feel her ribs. I'd take her for a check-up imo.

Also perhaps look at changing her food cos I dont think that guinea mix is particularly good for them - what about moving to SS or something like that.

it is a worry when they are skinny things - Zeb is really scrawny and i did think for the first fortnight that he was ill but he seems to be very healthy (vet confirmed this) - even now he's growing lengthwise but you can still feel his ribs and backbone. But he's still only 11 weeks old.

What about alfafa hay? I think that's supposed to be good for young growing bunnies - lots of protein in it.

Back