• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mxyi Help.....

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
I realise not many of you are going to be up at this hour...its only 8.45pm here in New Zealand. :roll:

It looks like Mxyi has struck my herd :cry: :cry:

Smokey's gone down with puffy swollen eyes and swollen genitals, being on the other side of the world means I can't do much for him but he's already on Anti-B's and is being kept quiet with his partner

How long was it before you decided to give up and have bunny PTS?

Its not really an option for me but being as I can't be home to nurse him, it seems like my only way forward if he gets too bad :cry: :cry:

I am so sorry to have heard your news, this is an area where I fortunately have no experience with. There are a number of people on this forum who can help you. There is a good website with information on it http://www.rguppy.freeserve.co.uk/ Hopefully someone with experience will popl by shortly.

oh i am so sorry to hear this gem,

Only you can make that desision to PTS or not for me i just had to end their suffering as both my girls were getting getting worse rather than better :cry: and it was unbearable to watch. So i am not goign to tell you, you must do this or that they will let you know if they are ready or not to go

I hope he pulls through i wish you all the best

Sorry to hear you news :( Most bunnies with myxi do fairly well for atleast the first week. It's quite a gradual worsening (and if they get better - getting better). Are they vaccinated, that adds to the chances.

I'm so sorry to hear this, must be even harder when you can't see them :( are they in Havant? I've just realised 4 of mine are due for boosters this month! edit: just saw your above post and booked mine in tonight! :shock:

Oh dear I am so sorry :cry:

My personal opinion is that I would only ask for treatment for a Bun with Myxi if Bun had been Vaccinated within the last 8 months.
Otherwise I would let the Bun go :cry:

Again,this is just a personal opinion. Vaccinated Buns can recover but it is a long, slow process and aggressive antibiotic therapy is needed for several weeks.

How awful for this to have happened whilst you are away :cry: :cry:

Janex

oh god no :cry: my harly's jst gettin ovr the worsed of having myxi, u'v prob read my post

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=31787

to be honest, it is long and difficult, both physically and emotionally. He's fought through, but it's been far from easy. My vet has said if he wasnt vaccinated there's no way she'd have suggested attempting treatment as myxi is such a horrible disease with so little chance of recovery, so that really will make a difference. If he has been vaccinated, you will have a good idea within the first 10 days if he's got a chance or not, but during that time u'll nd to make vet trips every 2nd day for anti inflammatory and antibiotic injections. I did after a couple of weeks get oral metacam (anti-inflammatory) and baytril (antibiotics) to administer myself daily but Im not sure if this ould be an option in the 1st stages or not. I also found this website a lot of help -
http://www.rguppy.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm

I have my fingers and toes crossed for ur and ur bun

Jack's-Jane said:
My personal opinion is that I would only ask for treatment for a Bun with Myxi if Bun had been Vaccinated within the last 8 months.
Otherwise I would let the Bun go :cry:

He was done the middle of November :(

Its going to be twice as hard for me as I'm on the other side of the world, no-one knows him like I do and I'm not sure anyone else would give him the intensive nursing he may need :x

Lucyj said:
to be honest, it is long and difficult, both physically and emotionally. He's fought through, but it's been far from easy. My vet has said if he wasnt vaccinated there's no way she'd have suggested attempting treatment as myxi is such a horrible disease with so little chance of recovery, so that really will make a difference. If he has been vaccinated, you will have a good idea within the first 10 days if he's got a chance or not, but during that time u'll need to make vet trips every 2nd day for anti inflammatory and antibiotic injections. I did after a couple of weeks get oral metacam (anti-inflammatory) and baytril (antibiotics) to administer myself daily but Im not sure if this ould be an option in the 1st stages or not.

Thanks Lucy, I was hoping you see this, giving injections is fine I can do that at home.

Its all down to what can I do from the other side of the world :x :roll:

I know my vet would go with treatment but I'm pretty sure she'd give up on him before I would :cry:

Can I ask what Anti-B's Harly was given?

I know he will prob need Bisolvon and possibly Septrin? :?

Harly was on Baytril, 0.8ml twice a day, and oral Metacam, 0.2ml twice a day. My vet suggested lower doses, but I researched myself on here and gave him the max dose I could 4 his weight 2 give him max chance, if u look in my post people have advised me on doses per kg of weight so u cud work it out if nds be.

He was not initially on bisolvin, but when his nose started sounding bubbly like thr was trapped mucus he started getting a pinch disolved in a little water twice daily. I also found steaming him with essential oils helped, I got a mixture of eleni (or elemi, sumthing like that), eucalyptus and camphor, put him in a cat basket and made sure it was closed tight, put 5 or 6 drops of the oil mix in2 a bowl of boiling water and set it beside the door bit, thn covered it all up with a big blanket, jst like we'd do ourselves if had a cold, and tht really helped ease breathing.

If he has been vaccinated as recently as November I would def say u have 2 give him a chance, he can make it, Harly's proof. While I say it is draining emotionally, I feel tht if I hadnt given Harly tht chance I would always have been wondering what if........... Are u jst on holiday in Aus? Is thr no1 at home tht can care for thm til u get back? Or if not, if u r on good terms with ur vet perhaps thy would agree to keeping him in til u got home?

My vet said as long as he was eating thn thr was hope, so we made a decision between us tht if he stopped eating for more than 24hrs thn tht would b the point when we would let him go. This is a personal decision tho, as some people would suggest syringe feeding, i jst didnt wnt 2 put him through tht. Luckily it never came 2 tht. He will go up and down and at points u will wonder if u r being fair to keep going, thn thy will turn around again and u will know u r doing the right thing. Tht's why I wanted 2 set a point when if we reached tht it'd be time 2 let go.

It's been 3 months now since Harly 1st showed symptoms, and he should be off medication in a week or so. It is a long process and expensive, personally I feel it's worth it, but not every1 is in a position to do wht I did.

Im here anytime if u wnt 2 ask anything k, Ill pm u my moby no if thts easier 4 u with being away and u can txt if wnt :)

Bunnies can and do pull through, especially if they have been vaccinated. We had a rabbit boarding at Greenfields last week who was a myxi survivor, the second time we have seen her since it happened - she is still incontinent but on the slow road to recovery.

If I was in your position I'd get the first flight back I could to make sure your buns have the best possible care.

Nix said:
If I was in your position I'd get the first flight back I could to make sure your buns have the best possible care.

Think that might be bit awkward as she's gone with her family :( .. also, Not sure if NZ is different but we tried to get back from Egypt when Charlie was poorley, and there was just no flights at all :? Have txt Gem, No reply as yet .. She must be feeling SO awful :cry: :cry: X

lucyj said:
any news?

Yep!! Obv Gem was devestated the other night, but i've just this minute heard from her & it might not be myxi!! :D One of his swellings vanished over night, he's wheezy & has wet breathing, but has a dry nose :) Fingers Crossed, Gem's looked forward to this holiday for so long, and was really worried about leaving her bunsters .. so i really really hope they'll stop worrying her, the cheeky monkeys!! :) X

ooooh finger and toes all crossed here!!!!
i dont know if it is worth mentioning, but when aspen first got poorly again (make sense?) her eyelids and genitals swelled up, and we treated it as suspect myxi, with the vets meds and my homeopaths help it was swiftly brought under control, but having flared up again and this time with crustiness we have realised it is in fact syphilis again. a 3 week course of penicillin should do the trick for aspen.
or is it possible there is an allergen in the hay? that could account for the wet breathing too.......
trying desperately to think of what plant could have been cut with the hay by mistake :?

colliewoman said:
ooooh finger and toes all crossed here!!!!
i dont know if it is worth mentioning, but when aspen first got poorly again (make sense?) her eyelids and genitals swelled up, and we treated it as suspect myxi, with the vets meds and my homeopaths help it was swiftly brought under control, but having flared up again and this time with crustiness we have realised it is in fact syphilis again. a 3 week course of penicillin should do the trick for aspen.
or is it possible there is an allergen in the hay? that could account for the wet breathing too.......
trying desperately to think of what plant could have been cut with the hay by mistake :?

Aww Thats Great .. Gem will be v.Thankful of the info :) Apparently, He's seen both vets three times, is on Baytril & Metacam, being kept indoors & having physiotherapy to clear his lungs ... Sorry I'm taking over here, Just trying to help Gem :oops: X

Back