• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Amy! - update

nicolar

Mama Doe
Just got in from shopping and Amy bun is quite quiet and not eating cabbage or apple :( She is normally a real piglet! I've heated up her Snugglesafe and pulled all her covers down - I wondered if she had sat out in the cold a bit too much!

Tummy doesn't feel hard, though I massaged it when I got her out in case their was some gas. It was maybe slightly rounder than usual but hard to tell! All food gone from last night + some nice poops in her litter tray which I know are from 9pm onwards last night as I changed her tray. She is now sat in her bedroom but I thought I'd give her a bit of peace + quiet for half hour before I check on her again. I obviously will take her to the vet if no better, but how long would you wait? I don't want to rush her down there and stress her out if it's just her not quite her usual self. Shall I give it til 8.30 or 9pm? Emergency vets are about 35-40 mins away.

Oh I do hate when these things happen - I'm worried now and I wasn't at home last night so don't even know how she was this morning! Am meant to be house sitting for a friend but I may just have to pop back up there to feed the cat again later and come back if my bunster is poorly!

Nicola

No advice chick, but big hugs .. Hope the little angels feeling better v.soon! :( Our buns all seem to be acting a little strange lately! :? X

Yep we went to the emergency vet pretty soon after I wrote the first post as I just wasn't happy. Vet gave 2 painkillers and Metaclopromide. Her body temp was low + pain in her colon area on examination. Vet surprised how perky she was though! Will be giving tummy massages + syringe feeding throughout the night, I'm cream crackered already!! She just nibbled on bit of apple though, yipppeee :)

Thanks Becki, nicole + mandy for your posts, much appreciated!

Will update in morning

Nicola

I thought cabbage has a lot of gas. Is there a list of fruits that points out the fruits/veggies with gas contents and confirm?

If so, you have to stop feeding your bun w/ cabbage

Yep just found it can sometimes cause digestive upsets so no more cabbage for Amy!!! Will go get her some yummy herbs and greens instead today.

glad she is doing ok Nicola, these bunnys cause us lots of stress dont they. Ive been at hte vets again this morning with my other rabbit.

Lots of stress!! Have just replied to your thread. I've never had any tummy problems with Amy before (no real vet problems to be honest!) and I've spent £300 in the past 2 months on her, bless her!!!! It all happens at once and just before Xmas!

She is munching on hay + eating some veggies but no pellets at the mo. Prob best that way anyway to get lots of hay down her! Still not sure whether another vet trip will be necessary!

Nicola

Don't worry at all Jane :D Lots of threads here so easily missed!

Thanks for your advice, have replied with I think at least 1 or 2 more questions!!

Nicola

Well quick update on Amy - we went back to the vets this afternoon as she went very quiet this afternoon, pretty much stopped pooping and wasn't really interested in food. She had another painkiller + antiinflammatory + metaclopromide. Didn't look at all happy when we got home! Gave her some Fibreplex and some Recovery food when we got back. Popped out to Tesco and when I got back she had been to toilet in litter tray and tucked into the greens, parsley and mint I got her.

Fingers crossed she continues this way! I got some Infacol when I was out, would you recommend giving it to her? If so what is the dose? I have also got some liquid paraffin from when Princess had bloat - I gave her a small amount last night.

Nicola

If her tummy feels gassy then you could give her 2ml of Infacol. It is an inert substance so wont do any harm. It sounds as though things are moving through for Amy :D
I wish my Buns liked mint as I am sure it is soothing to the GI tract.

What a lucky Bun Amy is to have such a good Mum to care for her when she is a bit poorly.

Janex

Ah thank you Jane :D Your bunnies are just as lucky as Amy if not luckier as they practically have a vet on hand (think you know more than the average vet!).

It did feel bit gassy earlier, though the vet didn't say anything, just it was obviously painful - but I can imagine that gas in her tum would cause her pain too and want to eliminate any possible pain causes as am hoping it is onwards and upwards now!!

She thinks the mint is yummy, luckily!! I wasn't sure if the strong smell might put her off! Well I do hope that things keep moving now, there are quite a few poops in her tray and just went in and she was munching on some hay. But this did happen last night after the vets too so we will have to see tomorrow. I'm at work during the day but can take her after work, luckily Mum is at home most of the day so if she is worried + Amy goes downhill I told her to get her in her carrier and drop her down at the vets as I can pick her up on my way home from work. Mum is lovely, she said she will keep an eye on her tray for me to check she is going to the toilet and will also give her tasty greens and herbs thoughout the day.

Let's hope bunnies can't catch colds as I blooming can't stop sneezing and I feel rubbish!!!

Nicola

Back