• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fitting rabbit and weight gain - Update!

Bionic Bunny

Alpha Buck
I work at a visitors farm and although the rabbits and guinea pigs aren't treated cruely they tend to get a bit neglected (very complicated but basically 2 grown women are incapable of looking after them!) Whenever I go up I weigh and health check them all with one of the other girls who works Sundays. There is one particular rabbit who has been having fits. We aren't sure how frequently but they had been observed by staff a few times. The rest of the time she is very chilled out and if anything is very quiet compared to her sisters as the whole group were not handled enough as babies. This particular rabbit is also very overweight and seems to continually gain weight even though she is not fed that much dry food and has to share a bowl with 3 other rabbits. As a result of this she has a digusting bum which I get the pleasure of cleaning! The two problems are probably not related but I wondered if anyone had any ideas. The farm physically cannot afford to take her to the vet unless she is life-threatening ill, and probably wouldn't anyway! She is fed on ad lib hay and limited science selective and it took me 5 years to get the rabbits diet changed off a 9% fibre mix so changing her diet really isn't an option, they won't do it!

The fitting Rabbit MUST have Veterinary attention.

It could be related to EC which has implications for all the other Rabbits.
I advise that if these women cant afford Veterinary Treatment YOU contact the RSPCA and explain the situation.
Witholding Veterinary Treatment for ANY reason is a criminal offence for which the owners of the farm could be prosecuted

EC also has implications for any immunocompromised people visiting the Farm who may handle the Rabbit.....eg people on Chemotherapy or with HIV or if they have had their spleen removed.

Even if it is not EC the Rabbit clearly needs to be examined by a Vet ASAP.

Janex

Well done Bionic Bunny for trying to help them, but I am with Jane here, bunny really needs the vets. A bun wouldn't fit unless there is something seriously wrong :cry:

I had been reading about EC so it is interesting that you have mentioned this. The situation with regards to the vet is a complicated one, hopefully if I can give them some basic information about what it could be they will be willing to take him. Technically he can be seen by the vet when the vet visits but this particular vet is only interested in large animals and would be likely to say that the rabbit was fine. Thanks for your help.

Just to give you an update. I contacted my friend at the farm yesterday and he is going to be taken to the vet so fingers crossed that it isn't anything too serious.

Update!

She is on a course of treatment for e.cuniculi. I don't think any tests were done but the vet agreed to treat her to see if the panacur has any effect. (Don't ask!) Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread it was very useful information. Send out healing vibes for Milkyway as if this treatment is ineffective she is likely to be put to sleep to stop any further suffering. With regard to her weight problem it has since been observed that she is overweight because she eats her two sisters share and now she is being separated from them for dinner!

Back