• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

piere still having problems with his teeth

maxxev

Mama Doe
his back molars were filed under GA a few weeks ago since then he has had his front teeth burred and is in again for a second treatment on friday. :(
his bottom front teeth instead of meeting the top ones are growing in front of them. the vet surgested that regular trimming might give the teeth a chance to realign. the other option is to have his front teeth removed however in the last few weeks Pierre has undergone a neuter followed by gastric stasis..then was put under GA..again, to have an xray and his molars burred because he was still having difficulty eatting so im really reluctant to put him under again for the time being.
is there any reason to believe that his teeth will realign?
has anyone else had a rabbit who's teeth have?
do rabbits without front teth have more problems grooming?

My vet said teeth will never really realign. Even with Rex, who only had slightly wonky teeth (snapped one and it grew back angled, moving the others out of place)
The 3 I've had that had them removed were all so much happier and healther after having them removed. Mary's were the worst and literally within a week (sometimes not even the full week) of having them burred, he'd be miserable and off his hay.
I'd definately recommend having them removed. Better to do it now while he's healthy than have him poorly and needing dental work at the same time :?

It will also help with his molars as he'll find it much easier to eat hay, which is good for keeping the molars worn down. Try to get him on a high fibre diet. Minimum amount of pellets to keep his weight on, only dark leafy veg like carrot tops and leave them as long as possible, lots of hay - try different types if it encourages him

I'd recommend having them removed,

sure the clipping doesn't cost much but add up all the time you go in a year,and the stress the little bun has to go through each time.

We had one of our buns teeth removed last year,and the only problem was we were still chopping his greens up,but he couldn't clean off his botty so he would get often get a sticky bottom.

Untill we cut his greens down ,but this was still hard as he lived in the same hutch as his mum,dad, and sister.

Unfortunately we lost him earlier this year,and my O/H has only just got around to burrying him :cry: he was realy upset as he keeps saying he let him down. :(

But he's going to phone up one of the rescues this week to ask about another bun who just looked like our little Pepper.

:love: Samantha and the buns

Squidgy was having to have his teeth clipped every month, which was stressful for him, so we had his incisors removed. This was 4 years ago and so far (touch wood) he's not had any problems with his molars.
He's a housebun, so it's a little easier to look after him. We just have to chop his veg up for him, and I help him with grooming, especially when he's moulting. He manages very well, the little tike!

Back