• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny basics timothy pellets?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Sorry to drive you nuts with my bunny product questions..... :lol:

Have any of you tried your buns on the timothy pellets from Bunnybasics and if so what did they think of 'em?

Thanks,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

They are fine and I think the only US brand on sale in the UK. I dont think they are better than anything else. To me ensuring your Bun likes a timothy based pellet and does not get pooey bum is the most important thing. As long as they are free feeding hay, the fibre issue takes care of itself.

Regards

Adam

Mine loved them at first but soon got bored of them. I don't know if they'd be quite filling too so I'd prefer to give buns some yummy hay, which would help their molars too, rather than a high fibre pellet. Might be useful for keeping a healthy gut in a bun that won't eat hay at all but I'd definately keep trying with normal hay if they will eat it

Hi Adam and Karly,

Thanks for replying. The only reason I ask is that Harvey my incisorless bun eats very little hay. I think it's because he finds it difficult to eat hay. He has a slightly misaligned jaw which was a result of him being knocked in the road. He is my wild bunny that I have had since I found him in the road agedabout 8wks. I've tried so many things to try and get more fibre in his diet but nothing has worked that well as yet. He's a fussy bun. I wondered whether he may like the new Hi Fi pellets. I really need to find something that is yummy that's going to encourage to eat more fibre.

Any suggestions?

Hugs,

Nic and Harvey xxx

Well, if he has difficulty chewing I think you can only let him have what he likes. Remember that the finre content of hay is just as much about them wearing their teeth and expending energy chewing and digesting, so controlling weight, as it is about fibre in the gut. If he is pooing normally on what he eats then I would be inclined to leave well alone, or try subtituting a new pellet by increasing its proportion in his rations over a week to 10 days so his gut has time to adjust to the new pellet. Why not get the smallest packet you can and try him out?

Adam

They are fine and I think the only US brand on sale in the UK. I dont think they are better than anything else. To me ensuring your Bun likes a timothy based pellet and does not get pooey bum is the most important thing. As long as they are free feeding hay, the fibre issue takes care of itself.

Lonbun: I think you are confusing this product with OXBOW Bunny Basics /T

The oxbow product is a food pellet, ours is only TIMOTHY HAY.

The PF4P HIFI we make is a food pellet like the Oxbow.

Hi Adam,

Well the problem with Harv is that due to him not having enough fibre in his diet he tends to get tummy probs and his gut slows down. At the moment he eats SS pellets which I break up a bit making it easier for him to eat. I would like him to eat more fibre so that he doesn't have probs with his tum. Have ordered a few things from bunnybasics so I'll see how he gets on with those.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to increase Harveys fibre intake, considering he has no incisors, please let me know.

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hello,

Yes, I will try that. I did try that with the A & P pellets but as he is such a fussy bun he didn't touch the A & P pellets. Have also tried the Oxbow pellets and he wouldn't touch them either.

Thanks,

Nic and Harvey xxx

How about plain old grass?
It is suppose to be better than hay. More fibre and more fibrous for their teeth.

If it helps, I can send you a few timothy hay pellets. I wouldn't be able to send many because I don't have many (and because of the damn postage price hike!). What do you think?

Back