• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spayed doe might have cancer of cervix vet said.:(

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
well my house got flooded by good ole poprtsmouth waters burst main in october..its been hell ever since i made them take away the noisy hot air blower and the plastic sheeting stuck to half my lounge floor all the way along to dry it out.
we couldnt take anymore..neither could bunnies.
Bif has got gi stasis again..vet says its cos its stressed her out so much..shes even too grumpy to play with the kitties..shes been mum to our two kittens since we got them..they adore her n bertie...and bif joins in sometimes witht heir rough n tumble kitty games..she gets soo excited..and runs around the lounge nudging them to play with her.
shes not hunched up in meatloaf position..shes bright eyed and alert but its def gi stasis..and even tho shed been treated for it since last wed i think..shes not any beter..
so today vet said shed give another shot of metaclapromide and then examined her tummy further..to my horror shes really worried.
i have to give her a progress report in morning as if bifs not remarkably better she wants her in for bloodwork and xray..she thinks its cancer of the cervix..even tho bif was spayed at the rescue when she was 18 months old..
bertie has bladder problems..infection and or crystals..

im stunned i never realised that spaying leaves the cervix behind..

im hoping to find her scoffing the hay and food like mad and heaps of glorious bunny poops everywhere when i go downstairs in the morning..or im going to cry so hard..my poor little lady..my poor biffykins..bifs such a special litle bunny and shes found love again with bertie and now hes ill too..is it something im doing wrong..:(
theyve left the tree alone..they both like sleeping under it for a while but have taken to sleeping on the coldest spot in the lounge..next to the patio doors..on the bare ground down concrete floor! ive put a rug down..its a picnic rug with waterproof backing and im proud to say berties not weed all over it like hes done hundreds of times before..saying that now i bet he will!

neither of them are eating enough hay..and are very growly! the kittens are upset..they dont know why they dont want to play today so ive got to keep them away..not easy i tell you!
But the other night bif slept under the table with zuzu curled up next toher..they enjoyed the cuddle together.aww but not today..zuzuzs very wary of bif right now..and bertie too although she still followed him and sta gazing adoringly at him eating and washing till she fell asleep..

i cant lose anymore pets or people right now..i just cant..and poor bif n bertie so much for a second chance at life..im cursed to bring misery to all my pets i reckon..
:(

Sorry to hear your Rabbits are poorly :(
To be honest I am not sure it will help them to have the boisterous kittens around just now. Rabbits are prey animals, cats are predators. Even if they appear to 'get on' it does go against 'nature' and MIGHT be adding to your Rabbits stress.

Has the Vet checked Biff's teeth? If not I would ask for him/her to do so. As Biff is bright within herself it may be that molar spurs are preventing her from eating enough to keep her guts going.
The cervix is retained when spaying but if the internal sutures are placed on the uterine side of the cervix then a tiny amount of uterine tissue may be left behind. Potentially this could be a site for an adenocarcenoma (cancer) to form. Maybe thats what your Vet meant.....??

Cystitis can be treated with antibiotics and if 'sludgey urine' is the cause then dietary modification to moderate calcium intake and maximise fluids is needed.
If actual stones have formed in the bladder (X-ray needed to confirm) these need to be surgically removed and an x-ray of the kidneys taken to ensure no calcification has occured there. A blood test for kidney function would also assist Vet in giving a longterm prognosis

I hope things look up for all of you very soon

Janex

Sending vibes for your bunnies, sounds like you've had a horrid time lately. Hope 2007 improves for you. Let us know what the vet says about Bif xx

Aww Hun, I'm sure your doing nothing at all wrong! You musnt blame yourself, however easy it is :( I really really hope both buns are okay .. Please let us know how Bif gets on tomorrow, and look after yourself :cry: xX

Jack's-Jane said:
The cervix is retained when spaying

why? I thought the whole purpose of the spay is to remove the cervix to begin with. With the rervix retained, wouldn't the rabbit be able to give birth again?

Happy Hopping said:
Jack's-Jane said:
The cervix is retained when spaying

why? I thought the whole purpose of the spay is to remove the cervix to begin with. With the rervix retained, wouldn't the rabbit be able to give birth again?

The cervix is the name for the muscle at the bottom of the uterus (top of the v*gina) that forms the opening to the uterus where the kits form. When the uterus (womb) and overies are removed during spaying then the suturing is done near the cervix to close off the v*gina as there is now nowhere for it to lead.

Caz

Does she have any discharge at all? If the uterus was 'tight' at speying sometimes more cervix has to be left behind then normal when tying it all off so yes, tumours can (rarely) still form or it may be cysts or more commonlly a stump pyo...

Thank you all soo much for your positive vibes..best wishes and advice..i really do apreciate it..

The evt wasnt the one i usually see but i had no real choice..and i wasnt too happy as i suggested antibiotics in case its an infection of the baldder..
how dumb am i!

She was very good..even insisted i come in and see the xray and talked me through it..wow i never realised just how high up a highplaced bunny tummy is!
She said nothing was obvious but unfortunately that couldnt rule out cancer...she said under the gas the cylindircal mass could be easily felt..not good..

she wants her back thursady if theres no improvement and will take bloods and maybe send her tot he main branch to have an ultrasound..

she gave her some more metaclopromide and a pain jab..and i have to give her metacam everyday..
she said theres food in her gut and that pain anywhere in the body causes gi stasis and if she gave her antibiotics then the gut problems will worsen..
she was impressed i had the protexin bio lapis and the protexin pro fibre topping for fod..and said even bertie has to have it daily..for stress and the fact hes on baytril and the other one..kiddies one tastes of bananaswhich he doesnt like normally!
hes responded fantastically to the meds..hes so much more relaxed and has taken to playing nurse to bif..aww..

sadly bif sees everyone as her hunter even her stuffed toys..so yes i was selfish to get kittens..but i only took them on tempiorarily to rehome them..
beties used to cats kittens dogs and toddlers and babies..and he tells bif its ok hun..ill fix em..
Yesterday slame was crying all the time and wouldnt go for his kitty naps..neither did zuzu till the afternoon but salem wouldnt sit still.
it was only when he saw the carrier with the buns in that he was ok..the door flap was opened and bertie came lumbering out to a huge kiss and rub around by slaem..bertie gave him a quick lick on the head and went off to find dinner..
Bif wouldnt come out and was very distraught..so salem gently went inand cuddled her and washed her face and she cuddled into him and the looked so peaceful..she eventually came out with some coaxing from salem and had a drink with him and bertie at the dog bowl that bertie needs!

shes not comfortable but the morning she went to the vets she was meatloafed and in pain..
the poops are ven fewer and smaller now but i know uts down to the vets..
i am stopping the food as much as i can and feeding timmy hays but no veg or fruit..
shes soft pooping everywhere still..

i think the vet wants to say yes its cancer lets put her down but isnt going to commit until tests prove it to me..all i worry about is her comfort right now

i forgot to remind them to check her teeth whilst she was under..but even that wouldnt acount for the lump.

the vets aid its rare but can occur as uterine tissue is prone to cancer thats why its essential to get your doe spayed..especially before shes 18 months old..ex breeding does are the worst apparently..
she said they have to tie it off smewhere and thats why some uterine tissue is left behind and in some rare cases turns cancerous..
so if shed never have been done shed have had full blown uterine cancer and be dead by now i guess...

i will make her very first xmas as nice as i can..she will like every pet we have get spoiled rotten .
she showed interest in the tinsel ont he tree and lights periscoping to look at them..she went through the shopping i had delivered..and was out in the posrch which is freezing just a minute wondering what the kittens were investigating..me dragging in my tesco xmas shop at 9.15pm! shes got her ears up and back and thats a sign for her of pain so im off to give her her meds whilst i also fight to mediacte the white monster!

wish me luck!

as soon as i have any news next week i will update you..

and i will say about the kittens that yes i was wrong to keep them..but also they give her something else for company animal wise when she hates people so much..when theyre playing rough she keeps her distance unless shes in a good mood and then she even sleeps on her back with them running riot! she holds her own f they invade her naps or she will settle down quicker if one of thems very sleeps and next to her..she hates being alone even before we lost oscar..she was glued to him...

now shes got a choice of 3 furry bodies to snuggle with..although being 4 months old theyre very small still..especially next to bertie!

our old bunnies and cats were strange..the first..a dwarf lop thought she was a cat and the cats treated her as much..the second a cross breed..got chased by them..but lop oscar next was their pal especially my kitty..they were best pals.

i know prey predatory but it can rub along niicely for both..

I always like the American House Rabbit Society's info on cats and rabbits - when one rabbit grooms another it is subversant but when one cat grooms another it is dominant, so if a cat grooms a bunny both are left feeling like they are the one in charge :wink: :lol: !

Best wishes!

Caz

Caz that us indeed true! Many a time ive watched Bif ofer her head and its been licked by the kitty..they have no idea what theyve just said in bun lingo!

Well she enjoyed herself immensely under the tree christmas morning hopening pressies with my sick daughter whose 22 and bertie loved it even more..the kittes wanted the wrapping off everything..bertie wanted to see everything and bif wanted to bif everything..which they did before retiring under the glow of the fairy lights on the tree for a snooze.

Our old cats must have hated us bringing in young bunnies in the past wehn they were so frail and old so i guess its not easy either way..

I was brave and i telephoned the vets and although it was emergency surgery the receptionist still made an appointment for bif for tuesday afternoon at 2pm..im so scared for her and me...

i will keep everyone posted as i have never heard of a spayed doe getting cancer of the cervix..its a very scary thought.
shes had no dishcarge or id say it was an infection of the uterine stump..all i know is its cylindrical n shape..very tough walled and solid..and its in that region of things...

Back