• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can i put at the bottom of an indoor cage ?

karen354

Warren Veteran
What can i put at the bottom of an indoor cage when my Molly been spayed ?
I've bought an indoor cage & at the moment I put sawdust & hay at the bottom of it, but what is best when she's had her operation ? what about just a fleece blanket or something like that ?
I'm going to ask the vet if I can take her indoor cage when she goes in for her operation it's not a huge cage but hubby doesn't think they will let me because they wont have the room .
Thanks Karen

I have a dog crate so can't use wood shavings as they would just fall out. Untill recently I just had newspaper down. I tried a fleece but they just through it around and wee'd on it (I brought it special for them too, how ungratefull!). I felt sorry for them with just newspaper and as fleece hadn't been succesful I splashed out on some vet bed for them, they assure me it's lovely and cosy, aesthetically it looks nicer than newspaper and if there are any little accidents it doesn't matter.
Bit of a long post when the reply could really just have been vet bed but I haven't been able to post all day so I'm getting it out of my system :D

I have profleece in the bottom of mine. i found someone on ebay that sells it, and they sell it in dog crate sizes. because it fits perfectly, Asta hasn't discovered that she could move it because she hasn't found an edge :)

My vets gave me a few puppy pads and tbh by the next morning Pippa had shredded them up and was lying on the cage anyway. Other than that, towels would be good.

i have like a thin carpet rug thing in it . choc seems to like it.
heres a pic

chocincage.jpg

Yeah id agree with either towels or blankets if you dont have any vet bed. Shame u arent up the road id have given you my vetbed as i dont use it at the mo.

Thanks everyone for your replys... I think I will just use a nice sofy towel... What are those things that you can buy you put them in the microwave & they stay warm for i think utp 8 hours..

karen354 said:
Thanks everyone for your replys... I think I will just use a nice sofy towel... What are those things that you can buy you put them in the microwave & they stay warm for i think utp 8 hours..

Its a snugglesafe :D

The vets usually have their own cages, when Mary was in for his tooth removal he had to stay for a little while and I got to visit him 'backstage', and the cage wasn't a bad size :) She probably won't want to hop around loads anyway after a spay.
Perhaps put a blanket in the day before she goes and take that with you, so she has something that smells of home? You could even sleep with it the night before you put it in her cage so it smells of you and her home :)

[/quote]

Wow does he pee on it?[/quote]

Nope never - she does everything in her tray.
we never have accidents while she is out either , she always goes back to her tray or goes in the cats tray.

caz

Just be careful with a snugglesafe that she doesn't get too warm. Pippa didn't move much after her op so I was just thinking maybe you'd be better off keeping the room temp to a nice temp rather than giving her a snugglesafe as she might not feel like moving away from it.

Back