• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carefresh bedding - Loki doesn't like it

Ali - Loki

Young Bun
To say we have a willfull 17 week old male dutch rabbit is an understatement, but I have never seen him look quite so shocked when I changed his bedding in his indoor cage from woodshavings and hay to Carefresh and hay! He is now refusing to sit on the new bedding and has taken to dragging hay into his litter tray and sitting/sleeping on that instead! He is only in the indoor cage over night when we can't keep an eye on him (again he is very mischevious and tests all the rabbit proofing every day just to make sure and that's while we are there. Who knows what he would get up to unsupervised!). I wondered if anyone else's rabbit had taken a dislike to this bedding? The reason why I bought it is that we are treating him for snuffles and it seemed to get worse when he is in the house and in his indoor cage overnight. He's been on Baytril now for the last few weeks and although I know it's a respiratory infection the vet wondered if it could also be allergen related? He is (hopefully) through the worst of the snuffles as we caught it early, but I wanted to do everything I could to make sure that he didn't get it again (we have had to delay his myxi vaccination and neutering while we treat the snuffles). Has anyone else had experience of snuffle symptoms that were actually allergen related, or would it just be best to go back to the bedding he likes? Any advice would be appreciated as I can't bear to see him sitting in his litter tray again (I must add that it's now an unused litter tray and he has now taken to weeing and pooing in a corner) :?

My snuffly bunny's symptoms greatly reduced when I swapped them from megazorb (quite dusty) to wooden cat litter pellets.

I tried to change our indoor bunny's litter to this though, as I thought it would be cleaner in the house, but he chose not to go in his litter tray at all, just peed next to it, so he won that battle :lol:

What about a cardboard bedding? I use this for all my animals as woodshavings can affect the liver, as well as being quite dusty, and it works well for all the animals :)
There's quite a few makes, including Ecopetbed, Ecobed, AndyB bedding, SafeTbed, etc. but it's all the same stuff, corrogated cardboard in little squares/short strips

Back