• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do they keeping throwing their bedding out?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I got my 2 bunnies a big hutch/run combo a few weeks ago, to replace their smaller very similar one. In the last 2 weeks I have been trying to put lots of hay in to keep them warm (along with a layer of newspaper, and megazorb), in the bedroom area of the hutch. It's not easy to fill, as it's pretty big.

Anyway, they keep shredding up the newspaper and chucking it down the ramp! :? The only time I've ever known them do this before was during the summer when it was very hot - I just assumed they were too hot and would rather be on the bare wood. But it's bloomin' freezing at the moment! :shock:

Is it that they are trying to get some hay on the concrete below to keep warm and comfy there do you think? Or are they just loonies? :shock: :? They have litter trays on the concrete, full of hay and megazorb. I would put more hay on the concrete, but it gets damp/wet and totally ruined.

Any ideas would be gratefully received. :)

I worried all last year that the bunnies were cold. They ignored the lovely hay filled hutches and boxes in their run and chose to sleep on top of the hutches instead. So, I piled the hay up there too, only to find they'd either chucked it off, eaten it, or gone to sleep on the concrete :roll: I came to the conclusion that they know best, and make sure they have warm places to go if they choose too. Bunnies, eh :roll:

Jacob does this too - I've fretted about her being too cold outside for weeks, but she ignores my lovely snuggly hay filled bed, digs the hay out and sleeps next to the hutch door instead :roll:

My offering of a toasty warm snugglesafe is also rejected - she either ignores it, or digs it out from under her lovely insulating straw and wees on it :shock:

I've just come to the conclusion that she quite simply isn't cold ;)

I think it's typical bunny behaviour! :roll: I used to worry about mine doing the same thing until I read on here that loads of people's bunnies seem to do it too! :lol: Bundle is the worst - she will push all the hay out with her front paws - she's really industrious until it's all gone and she can lie on the cold floor again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

They even chucked their flippin' food bowl down the ramp today! :shock: I despair. :lol:

Back