• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food Bowl Flipping!

GemmaH

Mama Doe
Hiya

As soon as I put Jasper's 'anti-tip'! food bowl in his hutch he slams his paws down on the rim to tip it up. It seems quite deliberate and I was just wondering - before I go out and buy a heavy ceramic one - if anyone else's bunny is a feeding time vandal?!

Yup! Bobby especially will scrabble his feet in the bowl, and toss it around. The same with plant pots filled with hay - they get lobbed about too :D

I've got some heavy ceramic bowls for water (one of which says 'dog' on it, which may be giving them a complex! :lol: ), but for the food I have one of those dog bowls with 2 bowls together, which is plasticy, but is very heavy (has weights in the base I think), as they always flipped and chewed their plastic version.

My sons first rabbits, Teapot and Porkpie, used to get the bowl rim between their teeth and toss it out of the hutch and then eat the food! They both did it and they made such a mess! Bless them.

Angie65 said:
Rosie uses it as a litter tray :shock:

I've just introduced corner litter trays, that's where I find Honey's bowl everyday, in the litter tray! At least she bothers to eat her dinner before she starts throwing it about though lol!

buzz has a ceramic bowl and still throws it about. he got it through the hole into his bed bit the other day! my guineas are just as bad. fortunately none ever tip their water bowls.

Watch out if you have an upper level and you get a ceramic bowl - they might throw it down the hole and smash it!
You could always just put the food on the floor.

Well that'll teach me saying I had a heavy bowl.... My 2 chucked it down the ramp this morning for the first time. Luckily it's unbreakable.

mine throw their bowls about all the time, i have an anti tip one as well and tht jst gets picked up and thrown too. The only 1 I have anu success with is the heavy earthenware/ceramic 1s :)

charlie manages to get his nose underneath any bowl and flip it over... of course when it's full, thereby scattering food everywhere.

why do they do it?!?!?!?!!

Oh I can tell my man is getting old - he used to throw his bowl all the time when he was younger but now he doesn't bother. In fact he is very tidy and well behaved bun.

If I ever decide to have a young rabbit again I am going to be in for a rude awakening. I have forgotten how destructive they can be :lol:

Mine kept moving theres, in the end I gave up and got one of those Russel Rabbit feeder things you fill up (the egg shaped thing, not the balls)

Karly said:
Mine kept moving theres, in the end I gave up and got one of those Russel Rabbit feeder things you fill up (the egg shaped thing, not the balls)

yup, me too

rosie has a lovely pink one for that very reason, that and she used to eat soo quickly!!!!!!

Back