• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can bunnies be allergic to hay?

Since we got Zeb he's been sneezing. He didnt sneeze when we went to pick him up but there was very little hay in his pen.

He sneezed quite a bit that first weekend but the vet put it down to nerves. When it continued I thought it might have been the dust or something :oops: as he's next to my bed and it was a bit dusty under there.

Now he's continuing to sneeze and it isnt improving - there's no discharge from his nose though. He tends to only sneeze when he's in our bedroom or if he's done a really mad binkying session.

Yesterday I went to put some simply grass in front of him and as soon as it went under his nose he started sneezing again.

Can rabbits have allergies?

I am worried that he might have snuffles but like i say there is no discharge.

He's due back for his myxi booster tomorrow anyway so I'll get him checked then. He is well in himself, very lively, great appetite and filling out now. He was a bit lethargic when we got him but not anymore.

I think they can have a dust allergy. I have a horse with a dust allergy so have to soak his hay tto keep dust to a minimum :roll: or feed haylage

Rex became sensitive to hay after I gave them some from Sainsburys one day. As two of them had molar problems I would try different hays to encourage them to eat it and this looked quite nice and green. As soon as I started feeding it, Rex started sneezing, one eye would get weepy and he'd hold it shut, etc.
The vet said it was down to allergies (I'd thought so so removed all the hay and binned the remainder. He was like it for a little while after, and even the regular hay would make him sneeze so I kept it as contained as possible so he had the choice to be near it or not, and after a little while he settled down and was fine. He seemed to get a weepy eye after going outside too so I think he was sensitive to pollen or something outside as well (not a very sensible bunny, allergic to hay and outdoors :roll: )

Back