• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much science selective?

anamaria

Warren Scout
just wondered how much other people who feed their buns rabbit royale give them every day and how often you give it to them.
thanks
ana

Rabbit royale is 14% fibre, Science Selective is 19% fibre and Oxbow Bunny Basics T is 25 - 28% fibre. The higher the fibre content the better the quality of the food and also the better it is for the health and well being of your rabbit.

When giving dry food the same amount and same type should be given each day, a rabbits gut will not always cope well with continuous changes of food stuff. It can result in bloat / stasis which can result in a very ill rabbit, this condition can be fatal and an expensive vetinary bill :cry: Dry food should only make up a tiny proportion of their diet with hay being the greatest part.

If you plan to move your rabbit from any food always wean them slowly over at least 10 days to a new food.

my guineas and rabbit are on it, i give my rabbit half a bowl (normal ceramic bowl size) of it a day (guineas: 6 females get 2 smallish bowls about 2/3 full and 2 boys get half small bowl, single male gets bout 1/3 small bowl), all gets eaten in a day and his (bunny) weight is pretty constant now, but make sure because it isnt exactly an ideal food they get plenty of hay and veggies and grass to eat (if their tummy will take it all). i tried giving my guineas pellet food the other day, gave them some to have as an extra to normal, they didnt touch it, gave them pellets alone, they didnt touch it, just ate all their hay and greens instead. dont think they were impressed. just wathc with it because its a mix that they dont just pick the best bits and leave other bits because it will be very unbalanced.
i think rabbit royale has pretty high fibre really considering its not that much lower than the science selective thats recommended, better than many other mixes. still not ideal though.

@Debs111 said:
Is there enough Vitamin C in it for guinea pigs??!?! :?
nope, no added vit c, have to give loads of high vit c veggies to substitute. but then the vit c content of most guinea foods isnt enough at all so not much difference.

It is really as Science Selective GP has tons of vitamin C!
I add extra Vit C with Simbas veg though twice a day :D

@Debs111 said:
It is really as Science Selective GP has tons of vitamin C!
I add extra Vit C with Simbas veg though twice a day :D
yeah never enough in any food, so lots of extra stuff, same with the fibre content, have to make sure they get plenty of hay, and veggies and variety of nibbles.

jrn1310 said:
Rabbit royale is 14% fibre, Science Selective is 19% fibre and Oxbow Bunny Basics T is 25 - 28% fibre. The higher the fibre content the better the quality of the food and also the better it is for the health and well being of your rabbit.

When giving dry food the same amount and same type should be given each day, a rabbits gut will not always cope well with continuous changes of food stuff. It can result in bloat / stasis which can result in a very ill rabbit, this condition can be fatal and an expensive vetinary bill :cry: Dry food should only make up a tiny proportion of their diet with hay being the greatest part.

If you plan to move your rabbit from any food always wean them slowly over at least 10 days to a new food.

thanks everyone, i've been thinking of changing them onto science selective, the only reason they are on rabbit royale is that this is what alfie was eating when i got him from the rescue. i will have a look in the petshop next time i go to see if they still sell science selective. :)

I've found Science Selective in several smaller shops so it's not limited to vets or big stores either. If they don't stock it, they may be able to order it in for you too.

Karly said:
I've found Science Selective in several smaller shops so it's not limited to vets or big stores either. If they don't stock it, they may be able to order it in for you too.

just been and got a bag, so now how much science selective should i give them? i know i have to do it gradually. maybe i should change the name of the post now :D

Back