• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eye problems

buzz has had sort of little bits of crusty "sleep" in the corner of his eyes twice in the last week. nothing bad, come off with no trouble at all. today he had more of a lump near the tear duct of crustly stuff and the eye had sort of sore bits, like dry spots round the edge. the crusty bit didnt want to come off nice and easy so we had to bathe it and it was quite sore underneath, almost bleeding. the crusty bit (only about 2 mm long) was like white soft stuff inside, like a spot. like i said its been bathed in salt water and he seems happy. the other eye is fine and i cant see anything else wrong. well he has been drinking more recently but has also been eating more hay and less watery greens. any suggestions would be helpful, just want to know nothing is wrong or what i need to do if it is something.

I would ask your Vet to take a look at him as he may have conjunctivitis which would need antibiotic ointment/drops.
If the eye is actually discharging then this can be a sign of a problem with the roots of the teeth. Again a Vet check is needed.
I would make an appointment for him next week. Also, PERSONALLY, I do not like to use salt water near the eyes. Imagin how it must sting :shock:
I think plain cooled boiled water is best. Then dry the eye well and smear a bit of vaseline over the sore area to protect it from futher discharge.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
I would ask your Vet to take a look at him as he may have conjunctivitis which would need antibiotic ointment/drops.
If the eye is actually discharging then this can be a sign of a problem with the roots of the teeth. Again a Vet check is needed.
I would make an appointment for him next week. Also, PERSONALLY, I do not like to use salt water near the eyes. Imagin how it must sting :shock:
I think plain cooled boiled water is best. Then dry the eye well and smear a bit of vaseline over the sore area to protect it from futher discharge.

Janex

I have used salty water on my own eyes in the past when I have had mild eye infections and it is actually quite soothing, doesn't sting at all - would have thought it would be fine for bunnies too. :D

thanks, had his teeth checked really recently (had full check actually), all was well. ive some vaseline on it now, hopefully that will stay on, he cleans constantly!. it doesnt seem red or sore particularly, just this crusty bit. ill fone the vets first thing and book him in. ill remember to use just water next time, didnt really think about it, just had to get it clean and had sterile saline solution to hand. bless him he just snuggled in my arms while i did it, such a good little bun.
no ideas why he might be drinking more than usual? gone from drinking barely any to half a ceramic bowl full.

Tears are naturally salty, but I think people are prone to use water that is too salty, I'm sure its meant to be no more than 1 teaspoon of salt to at least one pint of water, but I cant remember if those are the correct measurements! :oops:

Can you take a photo of the substance in question? Because w/ most of my rabbits in the past & present, they have the regular black, solid dirt generated by sleeping, at the corner of their eyes, needless to say, that's normal.

But my last rabbit, Little Happy, never have that. He has a soft, sphere shape white cluster instead. And it flows along his lower eyelid everyday. These dirt is very similar to human, except in his case, just never yield solid form, more soft fluid form. Needless to say, it's hard to get it out daily, as it flows along his lower eyelids.

So all those years, I come up w/ a simple trick, I massage his upper and lower eyelid together, gently pushing towards the center, that way, the white soft dirt came out and I just wipe it off.

If it is the above, that's normal. In the end, we need to see a photo to determine what it is.

Back