• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

apple sticks???

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
on the dog walk yesterday mum fgound a wild apple tree (well actually the dogs found the apples :lol: ) so she brought some twigs home

can the buns have the fresh twigs or do they have to dry out or anything first? she got them from in the tree so they are still 'live'

thanks for any help :D

Is the tree likely to have been sprayed with insecticide?If it has, it is a definate no. If it is a truly wild one and has not been treated, you can use it.

it is a proper wild one on the dog walk near some woods and firleds (not farmers fields) do you know if it needs to be dried or anything first?

duchess went crazy for them, she thought they were very tasty :D which is strang as with her bad teeth you would have thought the last thing she wanted to do was chew sticks but oh well teegra was only interested in them when he could steal them from duchess....boys huh? :roll:

Treatment can last up to 10 years in trees so unless you have personally known the tree to have no chemicals used on or near it in the last 10 years I wouldn't risk it :? I'm lucky enough to have our own apple tree so I know it's safe, I wouldn't chance it with trees from the public :?

well the tree is from a protected area where they are tring to get it to a natural area so they dont use intectisides or anything as they are promoting wildlife etc the project is at least 13 yrs old and non ehave been used in that time :D so i think they are pretty safe
(p.s. didnt realise oesticides and that lasted 10 years :shock: )

Fresh apple sticks are safe. I need to find some more. I used to give them out as a weekly treat. They're always nibbled to sawdust within an hour! :shock: :lol:

Back