• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soggy Shed!

Pepsi's People

Alpha Buck
After reading other members posts about sheds, we took the plunge and bought one for our buns. At the moment we've just sat the hutch inside and are planning to do the interior in the New Year.
I've noticed that it seems to get quite damp on the inside especially around the corners. :eek: Don't want to spend time & money on the inside if it's just going to rot away in a short time. I know the weather's been very bad recently but has anyone else suffered this problem and how did they cure it? Or have I bought a cheap rubbish shed :oops: ?

Mike

Is it varnished?...you can get special weather proof paint.

I used to have rabbits in a playhouse outside and I found it was getting damp so brought a garden furniture cover...one for a swing seat so it was pretty big and that seemed to solve the problem.

It was from wilkos, but I guess it might be too small for a shed...how about some kind of thick plastic sheeting stapled on?

Also remember to put silicon around the windows :wink: It may need re-varnished like mentioned by mandy

Is the shed sitting directly on the ground or have you put 'runners' under it to hold it up. Like hutches placed directly on the ground they get damp and wet, raised slightly off the ground the circulating air will help dry the bottom out.

All sheds when put up really could do with some wood treatment, you could varnish it, although this would need rubbing down and redoing every few years. If you used a water resistent wood preservative (animal friendly one) this would also help. If you want to make it slightly more water resistent add some cooking oil to it (mixing thoroughly) before applying.

I painted my hutch with water resistant paint just before the winter to make sure it would last, I was advised when I bought it to do this once or twice a year. You have to use water based paint, some will say on it they're water based, but some dont so if doesnt say look at how your advised to wash brushes, if can wash them in water then they're water based but if need white spirit or whatever then they're solvent based and you can't use it.

I used Cuprinol Garden Shades, and jst put it on right away didnt rub it down or anything.

If u do get plastic sheeting, I put a post on earlier saying Poundland has huge sheets of clear plastic, think they're about 12ft x 16ft for £1, in the decorating section. Might need a couple for a sheed, but it'd still be pretty cheap. :)

My shed is exactly the same :shock:
I plan to use a pond silicone to seal all the joins. It worked on one side wher the water was just running in. But next year I'll be doing it all.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
The shed has had one coat of Wilko's Timbercare - it was the only one I could find that was pet friendly and suitable for planed wood. It's 'wax enriched' and seems to repel water off the wood surface. Will try a second coat if it stops raining long enough :lol:
The base is on runners which sit on paving slabs.
Like nicole says I think the problem is the joins where the sides meet the front & back. Like the idea of pond sealant - I suppose if it's fish friendly it will be rabbit friendly too :D

Mike

I have the same problem. I'm going to get some sealant stuff. It hasn't helped that it's been very wet lately.

Back