• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Audrey is ill :( Better

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
When I woke up this morning Audrey and Rowan hadnt eaten all their veg from last night which is completely unheard of, there were squishy poos and Audrey was sat there looking miserable.

She did eat some carrot when I gave it to her, but with less enthusiasm than usual.

Managed to get her in at the vets, although had a nearly two hour wait!
Vet said her tum is gassy and tender so she was given a gut stimulant and pain relief. She has small spurs on her teeth which shouldnt be causing a problem at the moment, but I have to take her in Monday for a dental if she doesnt seem any better.

Also have a syringe to feed her if she doesnt perk up. Am worried :(

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Some infacol may also help, tummy rubs and also a nice warm snugglesafe (a hot water bottle used under strict supervision is also suitable if you dont have a snugglesafe).

We are thinking of you both.

jrn1310 said:
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Some infacol may also help, tummy rubs and also a nice warm snugglesafe (a hot water bottle used under strict supervision is also suitable if you dont have a snugglesafe).

We are thinking of you both.

Thank you Janice.

I do have a snugglesafe so shall give it to her. Should I give the infacol now, or wait to see if the stuff the vet gave her helps?

Its 2ml of infacol usually isnt it?

She's been back from the vets about 2 hours but is still looking miserable- i think it may have majoily stressed her out in the surgery as there were lots of dogs.

Vibes for Audrey!!! You're doing everything right Mandy so try not to stress too much. They're in the best hands!

Hugs

Shiv, Zi & Fia xXXx

Aww Mandy, try not to worry (easier said than done I know!) You did exactly the right thing by getting her to the vet so quickly and she's having the right treatment.

Sending vibes for Audrey to get better soon and {{{hugs}}} to you :D

thanks everyone. She just hopped in her litter tray, munched a bit of hay and is now lying down again, so thats good at least.

I hope she feels better soon. You did exactly the right thing getting her to the vets.

Sorry to see that Audrey is unwell, hope she improves over today and tomorrow. Sending vibes and nose rubs

Kathryn x

thanks everyone. She just ate a couple of dandelions but has now gone back to looking morose again. Could the painkiller make her a bit lethargic?

I think I'll try the infacol shortly.

I have a bit of a dilemma regarding tomorrow...Im supposed to be visiting my mum and sister and families as wont see them over christmas.

However, am worried about leaving Audrey :( Should I take them with me do you think? I dont think my mum will be too impressed and its an hour and a half- 2 hour journey so might stress her more but cant see any other option.

Cant really ask them to come here or rearrange...so it would mean either not going, or leaving her here otherwise.

Hopefully she might seem better by then anyway?

Ok, since persuading her to eat a couple of dandelions and a bit of hay a couple of hours ago she has not eaten since :(

Ive given her some infacol...how often should I do this?

Should I start syringe feeding her?

mandy said:
Ok, since persuading her to eat a couple of dandelions and a bit of hay a couple of hours ago she has not eaten since :(

Has she poo'd at all yet Mandy?
Do you know what the pain killer was (it MIGHT be printed on your receipt)
If it was Metacam it should not make her lethargic. But if it was Vetergesic/Torbugesic it will. The latter also only works for about 6 hours.

If Audrey has not poo'd yet she may well need more Metoclopromide (it can be given every 6-8 hours) I think you should maybe get some advice from the Vet on-call. Certainly syringing some fluids now would be a good idea.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
mandy said:

If it was Metacam it should not make her lethargic. But if it was Vetergesic/Torbugesic it will. The latter also only works for about 6 hours.

If Audrey has not poo'd yet she may well need more Metoclopromide (it can be given every 6-8 hours) I think you should maybe get some advice from the Vet on-call. Certainly syringing some fluids now would be a good idea.

Janex

thanks Jane.

On the receipt it says Metoclopramide inj 10mg and vetergesic amps 1ml

I shall try and give some fluids now. Im not sure if she's pooed, as it could well be Rowan's. I'll close her in the cage for a bit for I can monitor her.

mandy said:
Jack's-Jane said:
mandy said:

Janex

thanks Jane.

On the receipt it says Metoclopramide inj 10mg and vetergesic amps 1ml

I shall try and give some fluids now. Im not sure if she's pooed, as it could well be Rowan's. I'll close her in the cage for a bit for I can monitor her.

Vetergesic is an opiate so it will zonk her out. And as I said, the analgesic effect of it wears off after 6-8 hours.

Janex

Its been about 8 hours now since we were at the vets.

I just gave 1ml water and 1ml of baby food. And also stuck her nose in it so she had to lick it off. She just ate a little bit of a nature stick but still looks rather sleepy.

I had a look in the litter tray and I think she has pooed because some are normal sized and some quite small, which I assume are hers.

What are the usual causes of this other than teeth probs please Jane? Am terrified I am going to lose her.

Just checked on her again and she is now sat in the litter tray munching a bit of hay....

edit: and shes just ran across the room after sitting in the cage all day, this is a good sign isnt it?

Back