• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another idea i have been thinking about

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
just a passing thought i had today which i was going to ask about.

my buns are in a 48" crate with a shelf half way up now i was thinking, you know you can get those 48" crate from ebay which will hold two people standing on top? if i got one of these and somehow attached my crate to the top of it and put a shelf in the new crate too it would make a doub;le storey, 4 levels crate.

would the buns actually be able to use this? i know they can 'do' ramps as obviously they have one but wold they want to get up that high? or am i still thinking in ratty terms :oops:

I dont know if they would go up that high. Mine would actually they jusmp up onto everything. Would the shelves cover most of the crate if you know what I mean? So they couldnt fall from the top right to the bottom

yes, well it would go (bottom to top) full floor, approx 2/3 -3/4 shelf (dont know if you have seen pics of my shelf) , full floor except for ramp entrance, 2/3 - 3/4 shelf so they couldn't fall right the way down, i had thought about that too

incase you couldnt find it here it is

22-Oct-2006010.jpg

22-Oct-2006012.jpg

what i was thinking of would basically be another one of those plonked on the top (not sure where i would put all my 'stuff though) or how i would make a safe hole in the top of one crate and the bottom of another :?

(not sure where i would put all my 'stuff though) or how i would make a safe hole in the top of one crate and the bottom of another

Im not sure either!!

They would have so much room though, I bet they would love it

yeah! i might be able to get a crate with a plastic tray which would make it easier if not i know someone with an angle grinder!!! :lol:

going to get some better bics of my cage and try to photoshop it just to see wht it would look like (if i can get ti the upstairs computer that is :roll: )

i think it would be good if you put a board that fit precicly inside in and then cut a hole with ramp going down to prevent them from falling

Spacegirl said:
Is that sand in the litter tray?
Do they like digging in it - does it fly everywhere? :lol:

yes it is sand and they love digiing and sleeping in it although when they dig it does normally stay in the tray if they get overly 'enthusiatic' it ends up in my bed!!!!

cavysrock said:
i think it would be good if you put a board that fit precicly inside in and then cut a hole with ramp going down to prevent them from falling

i tried to get wood to fit from focus but the widest piece they done was about 26" or somehting and the crate is 30" or something like that, i know i couldnt get wood to fit, i could ask for a specially cut bit but by the time it has been ordered in and cut to size it becomes quite expensive

cheekytikki said:
cavysrock said:

i tried to get wood to fit from focus but the widest piece they done was about 26" or somehting and the crate is 30" or something like that, i know i couldnt get wood to fit, i could ask for a specially cut bit but by the time it has been ordered in and cut to size it becomes quite expensive

you need to find a local timber merchants, they're loads cheaper than Focus or B&Q and cut to size free of charge usually

Back