• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - what do I do now?

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Well I have had Pickle and Twinkle together in my hallway ALL DAY today and no fighting. Just cuddling and grooming.

I tried to put Twinkle in Pickles's hutch and he didnt like it and was chasing Twinkle. Later I tried Pickle in Twinkle's hutch and they both seem fine. Grooming and laying together.

Question is - what do I do now? Scared to leave them all night unattended but they seem happy in Twinkle's hutch.

Also Pickle has Excel and Twinkle is on dwarf rabbit pellets at the mo. How do i stop them eating each others food?

How do i stop them eating each others food?

I dont think you can!! Try giving them their pellets in the house and just leaving veggies in the hutch for them maybe?! Then you could keep an eye on which food they eat.

If they are grooming and laying together they sound like they are getting on ok. If you are really scared could you keep them in the house longer and sleep on the sofa next to them or something.

I know what you mean about being scared though, when I was bonding mine the first time I was too scared to leave the room for 2 minutes :lol:

Sounds like they are doing fine. It s a bit nerve wracking the first night but leave them together and I bet they will be fine :D
As for the food - I would just give them a small amount of a mixture of the two foods then slowly wean them onto one or the other so they are both having the same.
Overall - sounds like an excellent beginning :D

Yes, I am amazed at how easy it has been. Only been a couple of days and they seemed to like each other from the minute they saw each other!!! Was so worried as I have heard lots of horror stories.

Do you think I being cruel if I leave them in Twinkle's hutch during the day and let them out for a run in the evening indoors?

When the two hutches are joined it will be 8ft x 2ft x two levels plus the run attached.

Best I get Pickle's hutch disinfected and cleaned and joined sooner rather than later!!!

Hia

Although my bonding is a bit of a disaster at the moment (I've got the theory sorted, just have an awkward bun) it does sound like you need to disinfect / repaint the hutch that you'll want them to live in, to neuralise the area.

It sounds like Pickle is seeing the hutch as theirs still, so getting rid of their scent will help. Also if you change things around.

If you are worried about them overnight I'd agree with Sillyrabbit about kipping on the settee!

With regards food, not sure sorry! Might be easier to get them on the same food eventually?

It does sound good though - well done!!

I think the hutch is big enough as you only have small bunnies. If you bring them in the house for a run at night make sure the heating's off and windows open etc so there's not a temp difference.

Hiya,

A 4'x2' double storey is fine as temporary accomodation - as long as they're not bigger than average size. Twinkle is a baby right? She wouldn't be territorial yet hence that lack of issue over the hutch. They should be fine together now.

With the food, I agree with Spacegirl, feed them a small portion of each and plenty of hay. Gradually build up the quantity of pellets using the brand you want to keep them on.

Tam

Yes it would only be temporary and yes Twinkle is four months roughly.

Is SS ok for a dwarf/baby bunny? Cos I can slowly get them both onto that. Dont want to upset either of their tummies.

Both are smallish bunnies - so hoping the accomm is not too small for a short while.

Jacob is only four months old and she's responded really well to the changeover to SS :thumb: (in fact it cleared up her excess caecotroph problem!)

I think Twinkle has excess c's. see a fair few in her hutch although she never has problems with normal poos during the day. got lots of food left for both of them tho, so will maybe start mixing in some SS.

Pickle has Excell
Twinkle has p&h dwarf pellets

So maybe i should mix a bit of all three in to get them gradually onto SS

If there are excess caecatrophs (sp?!) then I would cut the pellets right back anyway to just a teaspoon or so each a day. I'm not familiar with the dwarf stuff. Personally I would go with the SS and just slowly build it up.
If you are worried about the space, you could always leave the entrance to the run open during the day?

It was good news this morning. Two happy bunnies living together.

Think I will just find a local shop selling SS and move them both onto it together - that way I know they are getting the best food and should both be happy on it.

I cant give them access to the run as there is no way to it from the hutch that they are sharing. I will get Pickle's hutch all cleaned and de-smelled and beg someone to attach the two together sooner rather than later so they have lots of room and access to the run.

In the meantime, they can come indoors for a few hours of an evening for a run about.

glad its gone well. A good think to use to get rid of smells is vinegar :thumb:

Also, Id wait a few days til they go back into pickles hutch so he forgets it.

Back