• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does he do this?

nikinakinooo

Warren Scout
My partner's daughter has a rabbit, Floyd, he's 5 months now & is becoming sexually aware. My left arm became the object of his desire on sunday. :roll: They do say everything in life is an experience. Not that i wish this to be repeated :lol:

Tonight i was stroking his cheeks (which he loves) but he was moving his head vigorously from side to side for me to stroke one then the other & kind of turning his body & then then started to run around me in a figure of 8, stopping to do the strange "dance" again. Having never had a rabbit before is he doing this because he just likes his cheeks rubbing or is it some kind of mating ritual?

Niki

I think you've PULLED!! :wink: :lol: He is doing a Bunny courting ritual!! :D

If you get Floyd neutered his amorous tendencies will calm down.

Janex

:lol: :lol: :lol: Awww Niki, your boy's growing up!!!

As Jane says, book him in for his neuter as next he'll be spraying you :shock: Shop around the local vets as the prices can vary by a large amount.

Then you can get him a spayed girlyfriend and hopefully his attentions will turn away from your arm :D

Meanwhile you could get him a toy bunny to court and groom

:lol: my old bun Dillon used to court me when he went through puberty, I had a pair of white fluffy bunny slippers that he fell in love with. Needless to say they didn't stay white and 'untouched' for long :roll: :wink:

Yes, definitely a courting ritual! If your bunny is neutered he will be much calmer and happier as he won't have unfulfilled desires, as it were! Ask your vets about their success rate with the op, it should be 98% (any less, go elsewhere). It really is a simple process, especially with boys, and he will feel SO much better afterwards... so will your arm! :D

Getting him a spayed girlfriend would be a great idea as well, as rabbits are social animals and really need the company of their own kind (unless they are one of those rabbits that doesn't seem to like the company of other bunnies, it does happen). Rescue centres will have a large selection of females, often they will already have been spayed which will save you the expense and worry of having the op done.

Good luck! :thumb:

AMETHYST

Thanks everyone, after tonights "episode" i found out that it definitely WAS a mating dance bless him.

He will be going for the "op" & while i would love him to have a girlie of his OWN species his owner (partners daughter) doesn't want him to have one :roll: - we'll see in the new year :lol:

Would a toy bunny work? If so i've got one in the loft i can scrub & brush up & make pretty for him :wink:

Niki

nikinakinooo said:
Thanks everyone, after tonights "episode" i found out that it definitely WAS a mating dance bless him.

He will be going for the "op" & while i would love him to have a girlie of his OWN species his owner (partners daughter) doesn't want him to have one :roll: - we'll see in the new year :lol:

Would a toy bunny work? If so i've got one in the loft i can scrub & brush up & make pretty for him :wink:

Niki

Gawd Niki, she sounds like a nightmare. Does she live full time with you? Can you persuade her to 'sign' over Floyd to you?

Awww Niki he loves you :lol:

I think the bunny toy shoud be fine, just make sure there are no loose bits he could chew- maybe remove the eyes etc xx

Mating ritual

When my smudge used to do this, I would copy him and do it back. We could spend ages takign turns to dance. He never humped me though!

Years we are really close now and he always cleans my face If Im lying on the floor anywhere near him

* oh you may want to rub your buns head between the nose and the ears - thats their favourate bit and might be which he keeps moving from side to side, when you are on the cheeks! Hes probably getting very frustrated with you not understanding him on this too :)

Smudge used to do the dance with me and hum as he was running around. Decided it all had to be put to an end when he humped my head tho. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hijack this a bit :oops: but has anyone else noticed their female rabbit humping things too?!

Jacob (female!) attempted to assault the cat last night :shock: I was so shocked I double checked and she is definitely a she! Have I caused her some gender confusion by giving her a boys name?! :oops:

yep - my female buns have done this (to each other, in the face! :shock: much to the amusement of my flatmate at the time)..
I think it's a dominance thing in females?

Daisy has been humping berties head again recently.... :roll: poor little boy, just sits there until i rescue him by removing her!!! :lol:

Sorry but this thread has made me have a giggle fit!!! I have all these wrong images of bunnies humping other bunnies heads!!!! LOL!!!! :lol: :lol:

As you were.

Small orange giraffe said:
Sorry but this thread has made me have a giggle fit!!! I have all these wrong images of bunnies humping other bunnies heads!!!! LOL!!!! :lol: :lol:

As you were.

I think you are having the same reaction that my flatmate had.... :lol: :lol:
Silly confuddled girlies! :oops:

Niki, you should be grateful Floyd isn't a randy guineapig after what Hugo deposited on Hurley's head :shock: :lol: :lol:

kayjay said:
nikinakinooo said:

Niki

Gawd Niki, she sounds like a nightmare. Does she live full time with you? Can you persuade her to 'sign' over Floyd to you?

Yep she lives here full-time & Floyd is the cause of more arguments between me & Snoopy. We've had "talks" with her & it goes ok for 2 wk then reverts back to normal, i get sick of saying the same things.

As for her signing him over to me, i've said this too (not quite so eloquently) but this led to "tantrums" :roll:

I keep saying "it's not what YOU want it's what's best for FLOYD!

Back