• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buns with gastric statis

nicole

Mama Doe
To those who have had buns with gastric statis, do you find that after they have recovered (eating, pooing and drinking on their own) do they go off hay?

My Dougal was eating timothy hay from a horse feed place, it was thick and fibrous.

But after his first bout of statis he is now only eating Supa Forage.
Is this an indication that his teeth are causing a problem, and thats why he prefers the softer hay to the coarse timothy hay from the horse place.

GI stasis is often a SECONDARY symptom to another PRIMARY condition.
Pain causes the guts to slow down, a physiological response.
So discomfort in the mouth is a possibility. Maybe now Dougal is well in himself it would be a good idea to get his teeth checked. Then IF he does require a GA/Dental it wont be being done when he is 'poorly' ie his guts have shut down again.

Janex

Thanks Jane just what I have been thinking all day :(
He is eating pellets and veg normaly, it's just the hay thing that is really bothering me.

I was just wondering if statis changed their hay preference some how.

But now I think of it Dougal was very enthusiastic about this horsey hay, and next day "no thanks mum I wont have any" and hasn't eaten any of it since Sat morning.

As I said this horsey hay is very coarse compared to the forage.

Will phone the vets tomorrow.

It was quite the opposite for me, as I was convinced that Dusty's was caused by her not eating enough hay. So after the stasis I cut the pellets right back and found a hay she loved.

Sounds like this is part of the problem, ie a symptom.

hmmm... I'm not sure...

Sometimes i think my buns go through cycles - hays great one day and they scoff loads, then they don't seem to touch it for a day or two and so on....

Don't know why... :?

Back