• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits and chinchillas get on?

bunnycath

Warren Scout
Need some advice before I say yes to this.... Here goes...

A woman I work with has just split up with her fella, she has a 6 month old male chinchilla. Her fella has thrown her out of the flat they shared and has asked her to take every thing with her including the chinny. She's going to stay at her mums for a few weeks until she's got sorted out with somewhere to rent that doesn't mind pets. She can't keep it at her mum's coz her little sister is allergic to most animals. She's asked me if I could help her out by looking after him for 3 to 4 weeks.
Now Toby lives in the kitchen/ utility room and this is where the chinny would be living.

What I want to know/ want advice on.... is how would Toby the bun react to a chinny? Are they compatible? Bear in mind they would not be sharing cages :lol:

Help ASAP

In a word... No. I have to barricade my chinnies cage when the buns are loose in the lounge otherwise there's much scratching and hissing through the bars.

Do they realise the life expectancy of chins is 18 years? Mine are both rescues and are around 15/16 now :)

Nina met Damien when she was living in my room (chillas were on my bed - behaving fine until Damien decided to jump off the windowsill :roll: ) and Nina seemed a bit TOO interested. I wouldn't let them play together - they may be fine but chinchillas are so delicate under all that fur that I'd be worried a bunny kick or nip may do more damage than expected.
Got a quick pic before seperating them, made Nina look like a giant bun :lol:
Pb260042.jpg

I know Rainbow (sparklefairy) used to let hers play, I think he used to get a bit overexcited to see one of her buns :lol: But I wouldn't risk it myself

My chins live in the same room as my bun, when Noel (the bunny) is free roaming she loves to watch the chins, but I have to move the cage onto the table 'cos (as others have said) the chins make 'cacking' noises at the bun, but as she doesn't speak chinnie language she stays there totally oblivious. Female chins can spray urine as a deterrent too, so watch out for that :roll: .

Saying all that though, provided they cannot get to each other having them in the same room seems to work out fine for me (now that the chinnie cage is on the table, and the bun can't reach them :roll: ). The bunny likes to watch them jump around their cage though, but that's fine now they're a safe distance apart!

Back