• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yay!! Im so pleased........but still got concerns

lucyj

Mama Doe
popped in2 Aberdeen P @ H today 2 see if there was any little things for Honey and Harly's xmas. Normally I think it's not too bad anyway, the only thing that concerned me before were guinea pigs and bunnys in together. Had a lookie in on the bunnys 2day, as I normally do, and there were signs saying 'all our guinea pigs have now moved to Guinea Ville, beside the hamsters'. Went over there for a look, they've changed what was a huge avary, split it into 2 and in one there's a blue sign saying guinea ville and in the othe a pink one saying guinea ville, so they have their own space not with the bunnys :thumb: .

Still a couple of things tho

- 1 guinea was left in with the bunnys, and all the rest were moved.

- 1 bunny was in with some of the guineas. he concerned me, he's a long haired REW. Jst at the nape of his neck, and sort of behind his ears, he looked as if had quite a bit of fur missing (could see pink skin). Asked an assistant why he was in there and he said cuz he was getting bigger and had started 'scuffling' with the others. I then said I had thought maybe he was ill cuz of the missing fur - he said that long haired white buns seemed to have thinner fur anyway, but that sometimes the guineas pulled it out from there (but it didnt hurt the rabbit, was jst something they liked doing and he lets them :roll: ), not sure Im convinced by this. Also, the bunnys have hutches in there pens, in the guinea one there's them little plastic dome things, but he's too big to get in. Was trying to squash into 1 and the guineas were popping out the other side but he still couldnt get in :( .

On the hole, seems like a good move but Im worried about this 1 little guy. he was really friendly, I put my fingers through and he came over for a little stroke.

Oh also, they were all either lionhead or longhaired and had quite a lot of wood shavings through their coats, espesh the wee guy in with the guineas :( . What does every1 think? Should I pop in in a week or so and see whats happening with him?

Hiya

Was he a lop? Sometimes in young lop rabbits the fur does seem quite fine around the base of the ears and you can areas of skin, not sure if that could be a possible explanation. As for the guinea pigs, well pigs do sometimes 'barber' each other, some of mine do it, but they nibble the fur off, not pull it out so I doubt that that's the explanation for it.

Was he a lop? Sometimes in young lop rabbits the fur does seem quite fine around the base of the ears and you can areas of skin, not sure if that could be a possible explanation.

yeah he was a lop, the hair was thin at the base of his ears, but this carried on down to about the highest arch bit on his back, a good 5 inch of so bit of really thin fur.

I totally fell for him, and a little agouti coloured one who had 1 lop ear and 1 sticking straight up in the air (didnt seem to be bothering it at all)

Well that's a step in the right direction isn't it anyway, so we should give credit where it's due if they're starting to seperate the two.

I went into the Blackburn P@H today and all the buns and pigs were mixed up as usual but all did have hay, food and water. The girls got out the chinchilla and took him to the till area for a hop around as they said he doesn't get out much and they didn't think it was fair to keep him in a cage the whole time, again at least they're thinking of the animals welfare a bit more.

On the negative side there were 3 very large guineapigs, obviously older, and they were all fast asleep which I thought a bit odd in the middle of the day. Mine do doze but not to that extent and it also concerned me as they were obviously older and not selling what would happen to them. They also had loads of rabbits in obviously for the Christmas rush :(

lucyj said:
yeah he was a lop, the hair was thin at the base of his ears, but this carried on down to about the highest arch bit on his back, a good 5 inch of so bit of really thin fur.

Oh, not what I was thinking of, I have no idea in that case poor bun, hope it's nothing uncomfortable for him :(

Back